• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reoccurring Bladder Infections, help and advice please.

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Charlotte had a bladder infection a month or so ago, and I suspect she might have one again :( She's been fine all day but is suddenly tummy pressing, rapid breathing which she does when she's in a lot of pain and refusing food. She has looked as though she's straining a couple of times too, which is what she did before :(

If it is another bladder infection I need to look into why and know what to expect from my vet with regards tests etc.

I'm assuming it could be a physiological thing in which case scans/X-rays will need doing? Has anyone had anything like this with their buns before?

The only other thing I can think of is that she has had a few carrot tops yesterday and today. I know they are calcium rich, could that be the cause?? I can't remember now whether she'd had carrot tops before the last episode, but it's possible as they have them ever so often. Mind you the other 3 seem totally fine *touches wood*

Any advice and vibes would be greatly appreciated as Im very worried right now :(

Just to add she is also moulting a lot.

Is her fecal output normal ?

Has she any history of passing 'sludgy' wee ?

Oh Jane I was so hoping you'd see this.

She hasn't pood in the past hour but as far as I know before that it was fine, although its hard to be certain as she shares a litter tray with Max. She's definitely been sitting in her tray eating plenty of hay all day.

She has no history of passing sludgy wee, but she did just do a wee that was a bit cloudy, almost a bit milky :?:cry:

Oh Jane I was so hoping you'd see this.

She hasn't pood in the past hour but as far as I know before that it was fine, although its hard to be certain as she shares a litter tray with Max. She's definitely been sitting in her tray eating plenty of hay all day.

She has no history of passing sludgy wee, but she did just do a wee that was a bit cloudy, almost a bit milky :?:cry:

Could be that she has some bladder sludge which is causing cystitis. The Vet should be able to obtain some info from palpating her bladder.More detailed info would require an abdominal Xray.

Could be that she has some bladder sludge which is causing cystitis. The Vet should be able to obtain some info from palpating her bladder.More detailed info would require an abdominal Xray.

Ok thanks Jane. What causes bladder sludge?? Too much calcium? Perhaps I need to cut down on greens a bit? :?

Poor girl, I know first hand how painful cystitis is :cry::cry::cry:

My Strawbs had a terrible episode of this starting with cystitis and then progressing to a very sludgy and enlarged bladder due to her unwillingness to pee.

She has today, after many months of treatment had the all clear - her bladder is finally back to the shape and texture it should be (it was enlarged and very thickened) and she now empties her bladder completely so is no longer sludgy

Don't be tempted to cut down on greens - lots of nice wet greens plays a part in her recovery.

If she has cystitis (your vet should express her bladder and test it) then she needs a good and long course of pain relief and abx.
I didn't get an xray on strawbs as it wouldn't have changed the treatment she would receive, and the extra stress of a GA is better avoided if possible.

Don't despair. Once she has had a course of abx then there is lots of info as Jane has linked about diet.

Exercise is very important and I noticed that Strawbs was much worse in the bad weather when she didn't get as much free range time.

I tempt her to drink more by giving an additional small bowl of cranberry juice too.

Great thanks, they're interesting reads.

She appears to have rallied now and is sitting munching away on some hay :?

Hopefully it was a bit of gas or son fur making its way through.

My Strawbs had a terrible episode of this starting with cystitis and then progressing to a very sludgy and enlarged bladder due to her unwillingness to pee.

She has today, after many months of treatment had the all clear - her bladder is finally back to the shape and texture it should be (it was enlarged and very thickened) and she now empties her bladder completely so is no longer sludgy

Don't be tempted to cut down on greens - lots of nice wet greens plays a part in her recovery.

If she has cystitis (your vet should express her bladder and test it) then she needs a good and long course of pain relief and abx.
I didn't get an xray on strawbs as it wouldn't have changed the treatment she would receive, and the extra stress of a GA is better avoided if possible.

Don't despair. Once she has had a course of abx then there is lots of info as Jane has linked about diet.

Exercise is very important and I noticed that Strawbs was much worse in the bad weather when she didn't get as much free range time.

I tempt her to drink more by giving an additional small bowl of cranberry juice too.

Thanks so much for the advise, it's very comforting to hear :D:wave:

I'll be at the vets tommorrow with her even if she seems fine for a check over.

Back