• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneezing & gagging (coughing)

Lousticks

Young Bun
Hi,
Sorry if this has been answered in another thread, I had a good look about but couldn't find any answers.

So, about a week ago I noticed my rabbit Bishop sneezing, not unusual i thought, but I would keep an eye on him. In the past few days he has now started sneezing multiple times and gagging. Like something is stuck in his nose or throat.
He has no discharge in his ears or mouth. Is eating and drinking as normal. And seems pretty "happyl" in his self.

He is up to date with his injections and two weeks ago was introduced to his new companion. Who I adopted from the rspca. Is it possible she has given him something? Or is it more likely to be something stuck in his nose? Do bunnies get colds / allergies? He is five years old Netherlands dwarf if that's relevant : /

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

You should take him to the vets straight away, it isn't normal for a rabbit to sneeze. I've had Doughnut over 2 years and she has never sneezed. He may have something call snuffles, I think that's the name. But he definitely needs to see a vet.

It sounds like what my rabbit Digby used to be like, it turned out to be his tooth roots. You will definitely have to take him to the vets, he should have his teeth looked at and probably an xray.

The fact that it's suddenly appeared & not been a long running problem says to me that a vets visit is in order. Niles is a grunty, sneezy & wheezy bun.. But is wonderfully healthy (touch wood!!!) so it can be normal for some buns.. But he's always been like it. He could have a bit of hay/dust in his nose.. Or it could be something more serious. Definitely worth checking out, if only for peace of mind. x

Thanks guys ; )

I took him to the vets this afternoon. The vet seemed to think he has caught a virus from his new girlfriend. She's 100% healthy and has just been a carrier of the virus. Poor little man!
He's on antibiotics and antiinflamatories for a week. The vet can hear a little rattle in his chest, but says we think we've caught early enough.
Fingers crossed he will be okay.

; )

How's he doing?

Well done to you for taking him to the vets so early. It really does help when you notice something is wrong since rabbits can deteriorate really quickly.

Hi, thanks for asking : )
I haven't seen him sneeze or gag since I took him to the vets, but he might have been whilst I was indoors.
It's hard to tell because he really is his same happy little self. He has lost 30g since the last time I took him to the vets, which was only three weeks ago. Does anyone know the best food to help a bunny gain some weight whilst not upsetting his belly?
Fingers are still crossed he fights the virus off!

Back