• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Exercise in Wet Weather

Lemonade

Warren Scout
How do you do it? Do your buns still just go out in the rain?

It's raining here now but normally the girls are out in their run's in the afternoon...

Was thinking maybe I could bring them in later to run about the living room but they're not bonded yet. Toffee was done on Monday and Socks is being done on Tuesday so they've not even met... Didn't want to do one and then the other either because of the smells...

Has anyone got any advice?

Mine are indoors, but I know a lot of people's outdoor buns choose to sit in the rain in their runs :roll: can you put them in there with some shelter?

I have corrugate roofing on my runs and have made windows for the sides from clear pvc - I will take pics for you later if that would help.

My two have permanent access to their run - they hardly ever go in their hutch even if it is raining!

I normally keep Flymo in his hutch when it's raining but having seen someone on a thread yesterday mention they let theirs out, I decided to try it today and off he went into the garden - didn't care at all!

This is the first day it has rained since we built the shed/run, and it's been interesting to see where it got wet. The large front side has a clear tarpaulin, very easy to put up as it has eyelets so you can just hook it up. I cut up another tarpaulin for the sides but haven't yet solved the issue of the run-off from the shed roof.
The tarpaulins meant for market stalls are a good hard-wearing solution.

I bought them a large shelter box yesterday but as they're in separate runs at the moment, it's hard to use it so they've just got cat carriers as temporary shelter.
Luckily, by the time they went out, it had stopped raining and the sun was shining! They're quite happy now :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just posted about this. Mine were out all day in the rain, they have a lovely nice house to sit in but didn't bother and got soaking!

Also how do people keep the hay dry? Even with a cover over the top mine still ends up wet.

I'm just curious now because I've never had outdoor buns, but I thought they weren't meant to go out when it is wet, because rabbits can develop pneumonia, and I know I have heard my local rescue saying about the bunnies not being able to go out because of it being too wet :?

I let Slipper out in the garden, but always retrieve her if I think it's going to rain. I can't imagine she'd enjoy being a soggy bunny :lol: although the year she spent with my ex she was an outdoor bunny so maybe she wouldn't mind too much and it's just me being all sentimental as I hate the rain and getting wet (wrong country for me to be living in :lol: )

Well wild bunnies cant stay indoors during cold or wet weather so im sure its finefor ours to be outdoors, if the are house bunnies however going in and out in thecwinter can make them ill

Mine have 24/7 access to their run so they normally stay inside and shelter. How ever if its not to heavy they often pop out for a quick run round!

I wondered this too! I felt so bad for Shadowfax yesterday, it was absolutely pouring down and I wasn't going to put her out on the grass when it was flooded! :shock: I brought her into the front room for a run about. :thumb:

I don't know how people cope with outdoor buns when it's raining! I got absolutely soaked just filling her hay up and I felt so bad because she wanted to come out. So much easier to crawl out of bed and walk the 4ft to the bunny food/hay, feed them, and get back into bed. :lol:

Well wild bunnies cant stay indoors during cold or wet weather so im sure its finefor ours to be outdoors, if the are house bunnies however going in and out in thecwinter can make them ill

:lol: They do spend a lot of time in their lovely cosy underground bedrooms though.

Mine go out but have covers over there runs ..and dont seem to mind just this morning i got soaked covering them over and they were binkying round little pickles ... :love::love:

Back