• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Questions

myfriendpiegan

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, Bunchkin is booked in for his snip on 20th September (I estimate he will be nearly 5 mnths then). I am a bit concerned though as I can't se his... bits :oops: when I pick him up. Is this normal, or should they be visible?

I have also heard of a few buns passing away under anaesthetic recently. Is this very common? I don't want to put my little boy in any uneccesary danger, but I would like to have the possiblity of getting him a friend in the future/avoid any territorial peeing and other un-neutered bun problems!

Bucks can retract their testicles, so it may be that this is what he is doing when you try to find them. Your Vet should be able to decide if he is ready for his op' :)

Whilst all GAs carry some risk, for a young healthy Rabbit the risk is minimal and the modern drugs used today are much much safer than they used to be. In the last 15 years I have had over 100 Rabbits spayed/castrated. Just 2 died under GA and BOTH had underlying heart/lung problems. Also, the losses occurred well over 12 years ago, before so much improvements had been made in Rabbit anaesthesia protocol.

Thanks :) I'll leave it for the vets to determine! Thanks for the reassurance also, Bunchkin is a strong little boy so I hope he will be fine.

Back