• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's Not Just About What Goes in

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I hope I dont cause offence by mentioning this again, I really dont intend to do so. But many many times threads in 'Health' about sick Rabbits start with 'he/she has refused food' but with no reference at all to poo output in the hours preceding food refusal. Getting to know what is 'normal' for your Rabbit's 'output' over a 24 hour period can go a long way to picking up on a problem *before* the Rabbit becomes anorexic. Poo output often changes before the Rabbit actually stops eating altogether.

Again, apologies to anyone who reads this as me being a 'know it all' I am only trying to help

I can't see that anyone would take offence at that, Jane: it is very good advice/information which members (including me) will find very helpful.

If I had noticed I would have posted that but unfortunately I'd been asleep for the preceeding 5 hrs to the food refusal :(

If I had noticed I would have posted that but unfortunately I'd been asleep for the preceeding 5 hrs to the food refusal

I'm sure Jane wasn't refering to you specifically. I think the point she is making is that take my dental bun for example, his poops always shrink in size just before he needs a dental so by looking for things like this I can get him to the vets for his op before he stops eating which make the op less risky. I work full time so am out all day, so if it happened in that time obviously I wouldn't notice, but often these changes can be subtle and start a few days before.

Jane i don't think anyone would be offended. You knowledge of rabbit health and illnesses has been invaluable to members of this forum.

If I had noticed I would have posted that but unfortunately I'd been asleep for the preceeding 5 hrs to the food refusal :(

I was not referring specifically to your thread or anyone elses. As I said in my previous post, I am not trying to upset anyone, simply trying to help. But obviously I have failed again :cry:

And also if a bun is refusing food - going straight to syringe feeding without getting vets advice can cause a lot more problems & a lot more pain, if the bun has a blockage.

I was not referring specifically to your thread or anyone elses. As I said in my previous post, I am not trying to upset anyone, simply trying to help. But obviously I have failed again :cry:

I certainly did not see your thread as being aimed at anyone - just good, sound, advice - so don't lose any sleep over it!

And also if a bun is refusing food - going straight to syringe feeding without getting vets advice can cause a lot more problems & a lot more pain, if the bun has a blockage.

Same reason I didn't dose Biscuit up on emeprid (metaclop) and zantac as soon as I knew something was wrong. Just gave the metacam to help ease the pain.

Glad I didn't, considering... :(

I'm sorry Jane. I think this post discriminates against people who are trying to eat vegan. ;)

You should pick something everyone could walk on, such as asparagus.

No !! Asparagus has a very dramatic effect on the 'aroma' my wee and it might make my feet smell as bad :shock:

:lol:

Reminds me of this man I saw in hospital recently who had not been for two weeks. :shock: He had become very disorientated and his wife was very angry that nothing had been done about it.

I'm sorry Jane. I think this post discriminates against people who are trying to eat vegan. ;)

You should pick something everyone could walk on, such as asparagus.

:lol: :lol:

I completely agree with you, Jane. Bunny poo is very important (I sound crazy!) and it really does show how their guts are working etc. Even different sized poo and changes in colour can suggest something is going on internally. Poo checking is a must. :lol:

For new rabbit owners that is actually some very good advice:)

We all know that "what goes in must come out" but I wouldn't have thought of looking at what comes out on a day to day basis, but I will now :D

Thanks Jane :thumb:

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I'm so lucky....aswell as checking Estelle and Frankie's poo.............I get to do the boarder's poos too!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Big, small, light brown, dark brown, little teardrop shaped ones, whiffy ones, squitty ones.....................ooooooooooh I'm in heaven......tra, la, la.......................:lol::lol::lol:

It's really heartwarming when a bunny arrives which may only be doing titchy poos................after a week or two at bootcamp with me..........hay, hay and more hay....................., their poos increase in size and their owners are impressed with how much more happy and healthy their bunnies have become.

Graphic poo photos.............................................yippee!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back