• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding quick question

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Not had to do this for a while....

But, how much and how often should I be looking to syringe feed the recovery food. I've got no instructions with the sachet for some reason?

Thanks

Sorry! I was in a panic, trying to get little boys food ready, with a million other things going on!

Archie didnt eat his food this morning and has the classic tummy pressing position. Been to vets and nothing obvious showing as to why he isn't eating. No blockages, poos felt, so had eaten recently (was fine last night), some gut sounds.

He was injected with metaclopromide and ranitidine at about 1pm today after I tried some home care. (Metacam, tummy rubs, tempting food, running about).

When we got home he ate some plantain and dandelions (like 2 leaves of each) so I left him to settle and for the drugs to take effect. He didnt move for a couple of hours so chased him about and tried more fresh leaves but he won't eat. This is when I syringe fed him. Got about 15mls into him. He is 2.4kg but should weigh more...

He has wee'd but no poos.

Recent history... He had xeno applied on Tuesday night for lice. Had combi vaccine last Wednesday. And has ongoing tear duct issues so is on baytril and gentacin eye drops.

Think thats it!!

Sorry! I was in a panic, trying to get little boys food ready, with a million other things going on!

Archie didnt eat his food this morning and has the classic tummy pressing position. Been to vets and nothing obvious showing as to why he isn't eating. No blockages, poos felt, so had eaten recently (was fine last night), some gut sounds.

He was injected with metaclopromide and ranitidine at about 1pm today after I tried some home care. (Metacam, tummy rubs, tempting food, running about).

When we got home he ate some plantain and dandelions (like 2 leaves of each) so I left him to settle and for the drugs to take effect. He didnt move for a couple of hours so chased him about and tried more fresh leaves but he won't eat. This is when I syringe fed him. Got about 15mls into him. He is 2.4kg but should weigh more...

He has wee'd but no poos.

Recent history... He had xeno applied on Tuesday night for lice. Had combi vaccine last Wednesday. And has ongoing tear duct issues so is on baytril and gentacin eye drops.

Think thats it!!

I would aim to get another 20 ml into him in the next couple of hours. But do make sure he is not starting to bloat up. I would be inclined to give just water for a while after that if there are still no poos.

Are his eye problems Dental related ?

Thanks Jane. I'll do that.

Yes he had 2 molars removed about 4 months ago, and although the eyes seemed to clear up quite a bit, there has always been some pus left. They've said that the ducts are blocked due to the damage already done by the roots so we are just managing the condition.

He is eating some hay!!! All snuggled with his wifey-bun. :love:

Will make his veggie tea in a bit and see how that goes down. Fingers crossed....

Glad he has improved :)

Did the Vet check for any signs of infection in the tooth roots or any periodontal infection ?

He leapt like a rocket onto his veggies! Bless him.

I don't think she actually even looked in his mouth during the consult. He'd had a full check over only a week ago. I only realised afterwards that she'd not looked.

I did book an appointment for tomorrow as a "just in case". I might go anyway, as I think it's a pain which is the problem. He perked up after having more metacam.

He leapt like a rocket onto his veggies! Bless him.

I don't think she actually even looked in his mouth during the consult. He'd had a full check over only a week ago. I only realised afterwards that she'd not looked.

I did book an appointment for tomorrow as a "just in case". I might go anyway, as I think it's a pain which is the problem. He perked up after having more metacam.

Sounds like a good plan xx

Back