• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Residence Volunteers needed URGENTLY!

catxx

Mama Doe
Up until recently RR had regular weekend and weekday volunteers. This has dwindled for no reason other than volunteer's change of circumstances. We're now down to the point Caroline is pretty much on her own during the week, with occasional people to help with feed/waters and with a smattering of volunteers on a Saturday and maybe 1-3 on a Sunday (Sunday is Caroline's only day off).

And with rehomings up at the moment and Caroline off-site for a few hours nearly every day doing deliveries, the bunnies are not getting the pampering they should!

We get a lot of people saying they will volunteer but either getting overwhelmed by the scale or deciding they don't want to get their hands dirty after all. The only way we can reduce the numbers of bunnies at the rescue is to up volunteering and in so doing up the number of potential adoptee homes. The ultimate goal is to reduce the number of long termers at the rescue, reduce our waiting list (currently near the 60 mark) and get everything shiny and smooth running!

So this is a massive plea to find more volunteers, especially weekday!

If you can't do it, do you know any friends, relatives, vet nurses, vet students, vet wannabes who want to help??

FYI I volunteer on Sundays, albeit not every Sunday at the moment as the next two months are busy ones for me. If anyone is in St Albans (or on the A1/A505 between St Albans and Royston) I would HAPPILY give lifts to anyone willing to help!

If you think you can lend a paw please email rabbit_Residence@hotmail.com

I would like to be able to help, but I could probably only do Sundays and weekday evenings - is this of any use to you? If so I will be in touch.

Last edited:
I would like to be able to help, but I could probably only do Sundays and weekday evenings - is this of any use to you? If so I will be in touch.

Every little helps! Yes that would definitely be helpful, Caroline always needs a hand giving everyone their tea in the evening, and we always need help on Sundays.

I hope you manage to pull in volunteers to help at RR.

We have had similar issues at HH and we manage with a small core of long term volunteers but the bulk of the work falls to Louise who works 16hr days 7 days a week.

We don't rehome anymore but the volume of work with 160 residents can be enormous - just the daily meds can take several hours.

Just to encourage those who aren't sure if they are ready to volunteer - GIVE IT A GO!!

I've volunteered for the last 7 years and have had the opportunity to do so many things from fund raising, mucking out, building hutches and enclosures, planting, fencing, dressing up as a giant rabbit, chopping down 60ft trees, vet runs etc, etc.

Volunteering can be whatever you want it to be. When I started I was reluctant to do much more than mucking out, but the great feeling you get from going home knowing that the 50 animals that you've cleaned out that day are happy in their clean beds is addictive.

:p
I hope you manage to pull in volunteers to help at RR.

We have had similar issues at HH and we manage with a small core of long term volunteers but the bulk of the work falls to Louise who works 16hr days 7 days a week.

We don't rehome anymore but the volume of work with 160 residents can be enormous - just the daily meds can take several hours.

Just to encourage those who aren't sure if they are ready to volunteer - GIVE IT A GO!!

I've volunteered for the last 7 years and have had the opportunity to do so many things from fund raising, mucking out, building hutches and enclosures, planting, fencing, dressing up as a giant rabbit, chopping down 60ft trees, vet runs etc, etc.

Volunteering can be whatever you want it to be. When I started I was reluctant to do much more than mucking out, but the great feeling you get from going home knowing that the 50 animals that you've cleaned out that day are happy in their clean beds is addictive.

:thumb::thumb:
I adopted my two, had a break from the rescue for a year, then started casual volunteering. now I'm the official "events co-ordinator" :shock:

speaking of which, we also need volunteers to help at events too haha, I can't do them all but seem to be at the moment!

bump!

the rescue has had to be closed to visitors for the next couple of saturdays (including today) so we can try and catch up with everything.

we need more hands on deck so badly!

I would happily help out every single day if I could get there.
I live about 5 miles from Royston.
Currently not working due to long-term illness (anxiety, depression and such) but can volunteer as there is no pressure and being around animals helps.

If anyone ever comes from this way (my postcode is cb22 7aa) and goes to the rabbit residence let me know because like I said, I'd be there every day if I could be!

I wish I could help. Bit far from Somerset though. And we don't have any bunny rescues here. Just the RSPCA who don't need any more volunteers. :(

I have commented on your facebook status, I could come on Sunday if that would help. I wish I lived closer so I could come regularly, I'm not a very confident driver either so I'm working up the courage to drive over!

I did a morning/afternoon volunteering today, thought I would share some pics! Lots of hard work but worth it to see clean snuggly bunnies.

These are relations of my Ruthy!

And the bunny I would of taken home without a doubt. Such a sweet girl, gave her noserubs while she closed her eyes :love::love:

What about arranging a one off RR/RU day where members meet each other and give Caroline a day. Years ago, members helped with laying slabs etc.

For people not living close, donating one day to a rescue would be good.

]

Back