• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many carriers to use?

dominoid

Warren Scout
So we will be getting two buns from the same litter in a few weeks. Would it be better to transport them together in one carrier to bring them home or would they be better separated? And would the same apply to vet visits?

Part of me thinks it might be less stressful for them if they have company but part of me worries that a carrier is so cramped anyway that it might stress them more to have less space because they're together.

I take mine together in a large cat carrier. They're 2kg and 1.6kg so not huge rabbits and they fit okay

I also use a cat carrier to transport my two mini lops around together. It is definitely better to transport them together if they are a bonded pair, it makes the whole experience a lot less stressful for them.

Definitely transport them together - just get a carrier that's big enough for them!

My two are fairly squished in together but it is only for a short time and they will find comfort being together :)

Keep them together. Two's company. They may find the journey stressful and if on their own they may get panicky, but if their sibling is there then it's comforting for them thus less stressful.

I have 2 sisters, same litter. They have never, ever been separated; even when Thumper had to stay at the vet's for the day Coco went too. They were spayed at the same time too (though in separate cages immediately after the op but put back together as soon as they were both fully awake afterwards and even when separated it was only by the wire mesh of the vet's cages).

The only time mine will ever be separated from each other is upon death. Other than that, wherever the one goes the other will go too.

Definitely take them together :)

I bought 2 28" dog crates to use as carriers. They were around the same price as a decent cat box and have more space! They also fold flat for easy storage :) This was them trying them out for the first time on their vaccination day.
485437_10152807159620643_1541100277_n.jpg

Good value. Do you cover them at all? Mine get scared if they are exposed.

I don't, but then mine are bombproof bunnies, and my vets doesn't have a waiting room, so they don't see anything that could potentially scare them. You could use a fleece or something like that :wave:

We brought our two home in one carrier, they were from the same litter too. Definitely less stressful for them. They were only 8 weeks old then and they looked really small in the carrier. They're quite a bit bigger now, so make sure you get one that they can grow into, bearing in mind if you want them to travel together in the future.

If they are bonded keep them together. IF they aren't bonded keep them apart. Take a spare carrier either way.

Back