• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

caecal impaction u/d 06/09/13

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Dana is very ill she's at the vets on fluids and intensive nursing but her caecum is impacted and nothing is working as it should be she's having bloods in the morning and repeat x-rays as there is a possible mass in her abdomen which needs ultrasounded and further investigation. I just can't lose her and the stress of her being away isn't doing much for my Evan either

Last edited:
Oh no, sending mega vibes for Dana. Is Evan her husbun? Would it be possible for him to be with her to perhaps help?

Yes Evan is her husbun but he needs palliative care and doesn't do well in a hospital environment so unfortunately I need to split them temporarily

Oh sorry, I didnt know his background :oops: it can't be helped, I'm sure that the vets are taking good care of Dana, and Evans got you to keep him company. It's one of those times you wish you could talk to them and make them understand what's going on. :(

I'm so sorry. Keeping everything crossed for Dana - really hope she can recover.

Horrible news she has mass at the entrance to her caecum vet did ultrasound guided biopsy and I need to wait for the results but it is looking like tumor so I have some soul searching to do if it is nasty do I opt for removal which is uber invasive and not 100% guaranteed to succeed or keep her comfy and accept she's terminally ill this is awful both my babies are so ill.
However she has responded to the cisapride they have been giving her and now has some faecal output

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Horrible decision for you but I'm sure you will do what is best for bun. :cry:

I have her home she is pooing not normally but things are moving she is on metacam zantac and omeprazole I am still waiting on confirmation of what the mass is but I have decided against surgery I just don't feel caecum surgery is worth the suffering it would cause her discussing it with my vet the risk to benefits are high I would rather make however long she has left comfortable. Who knows how long she has Evan also has a mass and horrible chest problems and I as told he had 3 months maximum 5 months ago

I have her home she is pooing not normally but things are moving she is on metacam zantac and omeprazole I am still waiting on confirmation of what the mass is but I have decided against surgery I just don't feel caecum surgery is worth the suffering it would cause her discussing it with my vet the risk to benefits are high I would rather make however long she has left comfortable. Who knows how long she has Evan also has a mass and horrible chest problems and I as told he had 3 months maximum 5 months ago

I totally agree with your thoughts on this, I would not opt for surgical intervention either. I believe in quality of life over quantity and I think that just because a particular surgical procedure may be technically possible it does not make it 'right' to do it. You are putting Dana's needs before your own, a very selfless and caring decision.

I hope both Dana and Evan can remain comfortable and enjoy however much time they have remaining. Remember they will be living in the moment, what may happen in the future will not be effecting them at all. As far as they are concerned if they are comfortable within themselves then all is well :)

Back