• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur loss caused by hormonal problems

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone heard of this? Vets said Scars fur loss might be hormonal, she like noted that the patches are symmetrical, and said if that's the case there isn't a lot we can do. Or she said she could be over grooming because she is in pain, so they have done some blood tests today and of alls ok there I can start her on pain relief to see if there is any difference

I'm well confused. I said I was concerned then as she lives outside and the weather will be cooling down soon and they didn't really say anything.

Of course :D spayed years ago

Im quite upset because it felt like they were like 'nah never seen this before in a rabbit, try pain relief if you want or just go away and see what happens' :(

I've been trying all day to get a pic from my phone onto the Internet and I can't do it :( my laptop won't connect to our Internet for me to put it on photobucket or fb :?

The vet called me today and said her blood test was fine and I went and collected some metacam. They said to bring her back if there is no change in a week, but then said her fur isn't going to magically reappear in that time so I don't know if they are saying I should deffo take her back because I'm confused about what change I'm looking for, her behaviour never changed in the first place. Also there isn't a dose of what amount of metacam to be giving her on the instructions I picked up, it says 3kg dose so I'm guessing I have to work out the dose myself based on that weight :?

I've been trying all day to get a pic from my phone onto the Internet and I can't do it :( my laptop won't connect to our Internet for me to put it on photobucket or fb :?

The vet called me today and said her blood test was fine and I went and collected some metacam. They said to bring her back if there is no change in a week, but then said her fur isn't going to magically reappear in that time so I don't know if they are saying I should deffo take her back because I'm confused about what change I'm looking for, her behaviour never changed in the first place. Also there isn't a dose of what amount of metacam to be giving her on the instructions I picked up, it says 3kg dose so I'm guessing I have to work out the dose myself based on that weight :?

The syringe that comes with the Metacam is graduated in kgs, so you need to draw up a 3kg dose using the syringe supplied with the Metacam.

As for 'changes' I'd see if the area of fur loss gets bigger, if the skin changes in any way and if her behaviour/eating/poo output changes.

:oops: thanks Jane, I didnt think to look at the syringe

Ok Jamie thinks the patch is deffo smaller now than it was a few days ago, I can't tell because I don't know if I have just convinced myself it was bigger. I have the photos I took yesterday so I will compare the photos to her when I get home. One smaller patch has fully grown back already

I'm not overly worried that she is unwell at the moment to be honest, she seems fine and is doing everything as normal. I'm more concerned that she should be growing her winter coat. It's not the end of the world if she has to become a house bunny before it gets colder, she just won't like it!

Back