• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny from preloved? (update & pic, #21)

jemjabella

Mama Doe
Now that Flymo is neutered I'm keeping my eyes on the local RSPCA site for rabbits (although all their ads say "children over 5 only" so far :( ) and other local things, including preloved. There's a bunny gone up yesterday free to good home due to change in circumstances. I'm not specifically looking for a free rabbit, cost to adopt doesn't bother me, but I've read some horror stories about people taking on the free ones for all sorts of dodgy reasons. :?

Are there any reasons to avoid preloved? I'm a little wary of the "you don't know what you're getting" thing .. I mean, for all I know this rabbit has just been diagnosed with some hideous disease that requires a fortune in vets bills and that's why they're getting rid. At the same time I think: well that could happen with any rabbit we take on and that's the luck of the draw, we're prepared for vets bills anyway.

I don't know... thoughts?

Last edited:
Personally I consider that situation to be the equivalent of rescuing the rabbit, given that it could easily become snake food if given away free.
And yes, there might be a health issue but as you say that could be the case with any rabbit.

I think a lot of rabbits on places like Preloved/Gumtree are there because people have got bored or just can't be bothered with them. You are taking a risk but if you know that that risk is there and are happy to take it then go for it. It' be one more rabbit safe in a good home.

Misty came from a Gumtree ad, as did several of my rats. Only one rat has cost me a significant amount in vet bills and that was just bad luck.

I think a lot of rabbits on places like Preloved/Gumtree are there because people have got bored or just can't be bothered with them. You are taking a risk but if you know that that risk is there and are happy to take it then go for it. It' be one more rabbit safe in a good home.

Misty came from a Gumtree ad, as did several of my rats. Only one rat has cost me a significant amount in vet bills and that was just bad luck.

I can see that - lots of very young rabbits with hutches/etc that clearly people have bought and can't be bothered to keep up with :cry: Lots of backyard breeders too :?

Thanks both. Will talk to the other half and see what he thinks.

There's Rabbit Rehome and Pets4homes as well worth having a look at.

Try and avoid a BYB though, it's not good to encourage them by buying the babies they breed!

There's Rabbit Rehome and Pets4homes as well worth having a look at.

Try and avoid a BYB though, it's not good to encourage them by buying the babies they breed!

Thanks for the tip

Absolutely - after reporting one to RSPCA when we got Fudge (cat), I wouldn't go near them ever again. Older and wiser :)

I have often looked at preloved and gumtree for animals and have emailed any that I liked the look of advertised 'free to good home' to advise them about what could happen. Always had very positive responses from owners, including one who decided to keep her rabbit cos she realised how sad it made her that he could have been snake food.

I would have an animal from there. Its cutting out the middle man (rescue) and its not just buying from a back yard breeder. Good luck. Pics pics pics when you do find Flymo's friend.

I have several free-ad buns, plus one I took on from someone hubby works with. Most were people who got themselves into unfortunate situations where they couldn't keep the bun. I'm sure their are those that are neglected and in poor health so it is a risk factor, but of course if you are getting another bun you should factor in unexpected vets bills anyway.

However in your situation it would pay to think about what you would do if they don't bond, you wont be able to take he back and try another partner for your bun like you would with a rescue.

I have several free-ad buns, plus one I took on from someone hubby works with. Most were people who got themselves into unfortunate situations where they couldn't keep the bun. I'm sure their are those that are neglected and in poor health so it is a risk factor, but of course if you are getting another bun you should factor in unexpected vets bills anyway.

However in your situation it would pay to think about what you would do if they don't bond, you wont be able to take he back and try another partner for your bun like you would with a rescue.

That's what I'm thinking re: unexpected bills. If we weren't able to deal with this then another rabbit would have been vetoed anyway.

re: bonding. It wouldn't be ideal but we have enough space to keep them separate. We'd just have to get some more then to try and bond them instead (kidding kidding :lol: my other half would kill me ;) )

where abouts in shropshire are you? I adopted my buns from RSPCA Walsall and there was nothing said about under 5s. They came and did a home check, I passed and it went from there...

give them a call and see what happens. I think there are some people on here from RSPCA Walsall somewhere too.

I tried RSPCA Gonsall and they were insistent my set up wasn't enough... even though I had more than a big enough hutch at the time and a more than big enough run

as for preloved, Ive not had pets off their before so im not so sure... but i just thought id see about the rspca bit

where abouts in shropshire are you? I adopted my buns from RSPCA Walsall and there was nothing said about under 5s. They came and did a home check, I passed and it went from there...

give them a call and see what happens. I think there are some people on here from RSPCA Walsall somewhere too.

I tried RSPCA Gonsall and they were insistent my set up wasn't enough... even though I had more than a big enough hutch at the time and a more than big enough run

as for preloved, Ive not had pets off their before so im not so sure... but i just thought id see about the rspca bit

It's the Gonsall Farm one that's closest (we're in Broseley, just outside Telford, they're in Shrewsbury). They've not actually got any listed today but I've been watching over the past week or so and they're all listed with the disclaimer about children :?

I use preloved to sell my snakes (I'm not a breeder, recent development in circumstances lead to me needing to rehome some, and I certainly don't feed bunnies to snakes!) I've also bought a bunny from preloved and he was my wonderful Dexter. He wasn't free to good home, he was £20 and yes I did spend a small fortune trying to save him from EC, but I honestly believe the family selling him didn't know and it was purely the stress of moving homes which triggered it off. I don't regret it at all and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat because although it was hard and heart breaking when I had to have him pts, I was honoured that I at least got to spend those few months with him.

My advice to you would be trust your instinct. If you think it's dodgy, don't do it, but if you feel it's the right thing to do, then do it. It may be the best thing you ever did :)

I use preloved to sell my snakes (I'm not a breeder, recent development in circumstances lead to me needing to rehome some, and I certainly don't feed bunnies to snakes!) I've also bought a bunny from preloved and he was my wonderful Dexter. He wasn't free to good home, he was £20 and yes I did spend a small fortune trying to save him from EC, but I honestly believe the family selling him didn't know and it was purely the stress of moving homes which triggered it off. I don't regret it at all and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat because although it was hard and heart breaking when I had to have him pts, I was honoured that I at least got to spend those few months with him.

My advice to you would be trust your instinct. If you think it's dodgy, don't do it, but if you feel it's the right thing to do, then do it. It may be the best thing you ever did :)

Absolutely.

Thanks again all :)

I called the lady offering the bun free to good home and she seems genuine... she said that she'd taken the rabbit off the hands of a colleague who could no longer keep it, but after a recent landlord's inspection was told she had to get rid. I'm going down to see her tomorrow.

The rabbit isn't spayed so if we bring her home, we'll need to sort that etc before we can introduce her to Flymo (plus he was only neutered last week so we have to wait anyway) but it sounds positive.

Just read this thread & wanted to say -
Sometimes you are saving a life or saving a rescue space & the rescues funds by taking these buns.
Gut instinct rules in this situation & if it all sounds ok with the bun then it probably is.
Though wait til you've actually met the person & bun to make the final decision.
I have a foundling bunny so similar scenario & he is robust (a Nethie who needs a couple of dentals a year - common & almost expected for Nethies).
Don't forget to quarantine the new girlie if you take her until you get her to a vet & all sorted.
Flymo is such a brilliant name for a bun! I love it!
Best of luck with everything :D

Just read this thread & wanted to say -
Sometimes you are saving a life or saving a rescue space & the rescues funds by taking these buns.
Gut instinct rules in this situation & if it all sounds ok with the bun then it probably is.
Though wait til you've actually met the person & bun to make the final decision.
I have a foundling bunny so similar scenario & he is robust (a Nethie who needs a couple of dentals a year - common & almost expected for Nethies).
Don't forget to quarantine the new girlie if you take her until you get her to a vet & all sorted.
Flymo is such a brilliant name for a bun! I love it!
Best of luck with everything :D

I hadn't thought of it like that :love:

Thank you :)

I have a bunny from gumtree :) He was meant to go to a rescue after I picked him up but I fell in love with him!! :love: I think he knows I rescued him :)

It's the Gonsall Farm one that's closest (we're in Broseley, just outside Telford, they're in Shrewsbury). They've not actually got any listed today but I've been watching over the past week or so and they're all listed with the disclaimer about children :?

If you dont get from preloved... try rspca walsall. they're lovely. I know gonsall is the closest but they were so frosty with my family both when i wanted to adopt small animals and dogs (obv not at the same time) it was as if they didn't want to give up their animals for adoption

Talking of Walsall rspca (way off topic sorry Flymo's mum) but ages ago I saw two GORGEOUS rabbits there and wanted to apply for them. Hesitated and saw them on here!!! They were originally called Jeremy and Jim. One black and one broken butterfly black and white. Anybody know who had them?

Back