• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally had a breakthrough

fosterdog

Young Bun
We've got Baldrick from a rescue around 18 months ago. When we first got him he was terrified of people, other rabbits, his own shadow and anything that moved.

He has come a long way and is now quite an outgoing bun, he loves toys and is always the first to play and can be heard throwing jingle balls around late into the night. He is well bonded to my girl and is not afraid of my dogs.

He has never liked being touched by us and after a lot of trust building we got him to the stage that he would eat out of our hands but the slightest movement and he would scarper. He will come when we call his name but only stays as long as we are outside the run, as soon as we go in he retreats to either his hutch or a hidey place only coming out when we are kneeling down and holding out food.

The day before yesterday for the first time he let me stroke him, not just a little touch but a full stroke all the way down his back (he was being bribed with food at the time), he let me do it again yesterday and I managed around ten strokes before I decided not to push him too far at once. Again today he has let me stroke him, I did attempt a nose scratch but he growled so obviously isn't ready for that yet :D

This may seem like something so simple to some people but this is such a huge step for him. I don't think he'll ever let us pick him up but lets face it not many rabbits like that anyway, but hopefully he will learn to enjoy a good nose and ear scratch and maybe even one day jump on my lap.

When we got him the rescue thought he was a lost cause and tried to convince us to adopt one of their other neutered males who were more sociable but I knew from the first time I saw his photo he was my rabbit. They even said they would keep his hutch empty for a while convinced we would end up taking him back.

It may have taken a long time with many set backs along the way but he is finally starting to trust me. OH can't stroke him yet but probably wont be far behind. All of the hard work has been worth it, he is my special boy :love:

Its an amazing feeling isnt it,one of my females rexes is quite shy and im now at the point where i can sit with her and stroke her but pick her up to do her monthly nail clipping and i get shunned for a day or 2 but her little hotot husbun would let u pick him up all day long.
Keep up the good work x

I had a lovely black and white cat called Baldrick.

Such a lovely story. Its amazing how just looking at pics you can know they are your rabbits. It was the same with all mine too.

I got some packs of fenugreek crunchies today so stroke, bribery coming right up.

Well done for not giving up on him :) he needed someone to understand and be patient, and I'm sure he'll continue to reward your efforts. :love:

That's a lovely story!! :love: Congratulations.

Shame on the rescue for saying you'd end up taking him back. :( It's obvious that he just needed love and care and understanding.

xx

Back