• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house bun friend or no

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
Can a house rabbit be happy on his own?, harvey isc2 and has always been on his own, he came to us 3 weeks ago and my intention was to get him a wife but he seems ok with just us and has really taken to smudge our kitten , they sleep in the same hay box and groom each ither which is very cute so should I leave things as they are or risk getting him a bunny with who he may or may not get on with?

I have a house bunny alone who absolutely laps up human attention. So yes, they can :D as long as you have the time to give :D

I intended to have Fiver as a single house bunny. Even though I was in most of the day, he simply didn't cope with being alone and became very destructive from being so bored and frustrated. He is very, very human orientated and he will play up if he doesn't get the human interaction, even now he has a wife. I think it is is possible to keep them alone, but you have to think that you can't communicate with them like another rabbit can. A human would go a tad insane if all they had to talk to was a dog (although I would enjoy it! :lol:). I do believe that social animals need the company of their own kind to be completely happy. :thumb: When I got Fiver a friend, I realised how much he had been missing out by being kept alone.

Of course not all rabbits enjoy other rabbit company. I thought Fiver wouldn't bond as he'd been alone for about a year before I got him a friend, but he bonded immediately and seemed relieved to have a rabbit to interact with rather than a big clumsy human. :lol: He has never changed the way he is with me, however. Every night he jumps into bed with me and demands kisses and cuddles whilst snuggling up to me.

Thanks folks after big discussions with my kids (their teenagers) ive decided he should have a friend, obviously he came to us in the school hols so has had lots of our attention but the kids went back today and im off to work soon and im feeling guilty already! I work shifts so theres always somone here for at least half the day but I think a bunny friend would be good and im sure its fate but a lady is wanting to rehome her 3yrold spayed female so im off to visit her friday to see if she can beca bunny wifey:D

Has he been neutered yet? I would wait until he is neutered if he isn't.

Glad you decided to get him a friend. :) I'm sure he will be very happy! :thumb:

Has he been neutered yet? I would wait until he is neutered if he isn't.

Glad you decided to get him a friend. :) I'm sure he will be very happy! :thumb:
Yes hes neuted, when we got him I took him for a health check and he was given a clean bill of health plus vet told me he was neutred, hes 2 yrs oldcand the female im looking at is 3 yrs old and spayed, cant wait to see her

Very best of luck. I love seeing rabbits together all cuddling up. :love:

Me too, I went to check my out door buns in their shed after work las t night, partner put them away 9pm I got in at 10pm having missed them all day and all 6 were in a big huddle together, was so sweet

Back