• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

George going for his Op Tomorrow

Flowerlady

Young Bun
George is going in to be castrated, have his teeth sorted and his brc ring removed. The poor thing has only been with us just over a week but the vet is concerned about his teeth and wanted to get them sorted as soon as possible. He has had a fair but of change lately so I hope he copes OK with the general anaesthetic. Next week it is one of my other bunny's turn to be spayed. I have taken a couple of days off work to look after her as I believe female rabbits can be quite poorly afterwards (Nala is my first female).
Tips on after care would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for George. Levi was absolutely fine when he went in. By the following evening he was bouncing around like his normal self, and even in the vet when I went to pick him up he was pretty awake and alert. I'm sure George will be absolutely fine, though his teeth might make him a bit more on the sore side I guess. I need to get daisy spayed soon as well, a bit nervous about it if I'm honest!

Fingers crossed for George tomorrow and Nala next week. :thumb:

The main thing when bunnies go in for surgery is to make sure that they eat afterwards. A good vet will not send a bunny home before they are satisfied with the amount they are eating/pooing. My female bun bounced back quite quickly after her spay.

Most vets use dissolvable sutures nowadays instead of 'normal' stitches.

Back