• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shakira has dislocated toe :(

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
Today I noticed her limping looked at her toe and was so sore took her straight to vets said was dislocated been given metacam everyday with me to visit each week. Surely they should put bandage on it ? Have they done right thing said if it does not heel that will need to me amputated :( so upset she was in dog crate with two levels ov now had to put rabbit run in house so flat surface she with her friend. Bit worried about litter trays and jumping in them . Am I doing right thing should I get second opinion

It's very tough to get a bandage on a rabbits foot that stays there for any length of time, so they generally just prescribe cage rest.

Pain relief and rest sounds right. Bandaging is likely to cause other issues in buns such as a blockage if they decide to chew it :roll: hoping she has a quick recovery xxx

Sorry I don't really have any useful info to give, just wanted to wish Shakira better, she is such a pretty bunny :love:

Daily Metacam is definitely a good thing and will help any pain she is suffering, but I don't know much at all about amputations. If the litter trays are high sided, can you cut a piece of the side out so she can hop in better, or maybe the cheap cat litter trays you get in pound shops would be better while she recovers?

Aw which toe is it? Fudge dislocated one of her toes once - while we were at the vets for her post-spay checkup! She made a bid for freedom over my shoulder.....silly bunny.
It's the inside toe of her right hind leg. She was obviously in pain when it happened, and also had metacam, but to be honest after that it never seemed to bother her. That nail grows upwards now.

I would just keep an eye on her and not worry too much at this stage about the 'what ifs'.
x

It is on right back foot last toe away from her . It's so upsetting seeing her limping around I just feel bad as I don't know how she has done it :( they said worse case will need to be amputated so I just hope she heals wel. Ye I wil be sorting low litter trays for her. She will hate the rest as she wants be out all the time thanks guys

I hope Shakira gets better! I just wanted to say try not to worry, we've just come through this I'm so sure Shakira and you can too.

Almost 2 months ago now my Mj fractured his back leg, he was put in a cast and it looked likely they would need to amputate.
He had antibiotics for a couple of weeks and metacam daily for about a month.
He had a cast for a few weeks as he didn't like it and kept trying to pull it off and chew it - the cast pulled down and then seemed to be pulling on his leg so they took the cast off which made him much happier (in between we had to take him to change and reposition the cast very regularly)
He's been in confinement since it happened, strictly no jumping. We've only recently started opening up his space again slowly and his leg is healing really well.

We were so worried we'd have to amputate (fractured bone went straight through the skin it was a mess) and it wasn't easy - lots of medication, vets visits (and bills!), plus one grumpy bunny who just wanted to go and play. Now he's getting back to normal (but still no jumping/big big spaces) and he's as happy as he's always been. Mj coped brilliantly and just got on with it - they can be very resilient given half a chance.

I hope Shakira gets better! I just wanted to say try not to worry, we've just come through this I'm so sure Shakira and you can too.

Almost 2 months ago now my Mj fractured his back leg, he was put in a cast and it looked likely they would need to amputate.
He had antibiotics for a couple of weeks and metacam daily for about a month.
He had a cast for a few weeks as he didn't like it and kept trying to pull it off and chew it - the cast pulled down and then seemed to be pulling on his leg so they took the cast off which made him much happier (in between we had to take him to change and reposition the cast very regularly)
He's been in confinement since it happened, strictly no jumping. We've only recently started opening up his space again slowly and his leg is healing really well.

We were so worried we'd have to amputate (fractured bone went straight through the skin it was a mess) and it wasn't easy - lots of medication, vets visits (and bills!), plus one grumpy bunny who just wanted to go and play. Now he's getting back to normal (but still no jumping/big big spaces) and he's as happy as he's always been. Mj coped brilliantly and just got on with it - they can be very resilient given half a chance.
Thanks u for your message sounds alot worse poor thing! She is in a fairly big run in spare room how small did u make the space for your rabbit. She lives with a friend and I would be sad to separate them. I have lowered litter trays now and have sit in the run with them for cuddles. Her poor Is so swallen I'm suprised they didn't give her antibiotics :( maybe I should ask. Yes I will have visit vets for a while :( I just hope she doesn't limp for ever xx

First 3 to 4 weeks they were in this:
ae00bf27-203e-4534-b049-298a43a7f685_zpse7a12a14.jpg

They disliked it but actually coped a lot better than I thought they would. To be fair it's bigger than a lot of hutches but they're used to having the whole room to themselves!
We then initially doubled that space using aviary panels, boxing them in to the corner of the room (although we had to put a sheet over them so Mj couldn't see the window edge - it's normally one of his favourite spots and the idiot kept trying to jump up onto them!).
We've since increased the space a bit more and it will be a bit longer before they have the whole room again but mainly because of the no jumping thing.

Lotty's been kept with him throughout - we felt terrible, that she was being 'punished', but it wasn't feasible to separate them.
The whole base on the big tray was covered in auboise so we didn't have to worry about a litter tray - only about keeping the cast dry. When we used the panels they had their normal litter tray back and he's been absolutely fine getting in and out

I mentioned this experience in another thread recently - being in confinement actually really helped us bond with Lotty (she's a tough cookie) and Mj loved lots of attention because they were so bored in confinement, we spent lots of one on one time with them which in a way was nice.

The antibiotics I believe was because the skin was broken, just a preventative measure but definitely no harm asking at the vets.

If it helps it was after 4ish weeks we really started seeing an improvement in Mj's leg. When the cast first came off he was holding the leg high off the ground, didn't rest on it etc then it settle down and he slowly used it again. He still doesn't have a full range of motion and it will probably be susceptible to arthritis in the future, it won't ever be the same but at least he has his leg!

I've added a picture of him in his cast so you can see it was tough for him but he is through it
cd18255a-64a5-4ecd-a9b6-5472c0506811_zpsacb08a7d.jpg

My Herbie dislocated his toe a couple of years ago. I never noticed him in pain, but I was cutting his nails and I noticed that there was loads of movement in one toe, I took him to the vets and they x-rayed him. Said that it was dislocated and that he had ligament damage. They thought it would heal and put a massive bandage on him. Was huge for a toe injury and he could hardly move!

He hated the bandage and stopped eating. I took it off him and asked the vet to be referred to the royal d!ck hospital, which I was. Herbie went there, hadmore X-Rays, then they basically said that I should just leave it as is. They said it was a tricky op trying to fix the toe, then there was no need to take it off as it didnt appear to be causing him bother now. They said that I had to keep an eye on it and if it started dragging then I would have to take him to get it off. It is his second toe in, and luckily he has fuzzy feet so it is supported with the fur and the other toes and he has never had any bother with it.

You need to be careful tho that it is not a break and causes any abscessing.

Vibes for your wee one.

Sorry have only just seen these two messages thank u for them. She is in a large rabbit run maybe I have given her to much room then. She seems ok in herself tbh and less limping I think now already but the toe is still swallen I may put her in a smaller cage inside the run so my other rabbit can b in there to xx

I hope Shakira makes a very quick recovery.

I do feel for you, our Daisy dislocated her right hip on Tuesday and spent 3 days at the vet with surgery on her hip on Thursday. It was touch and go with her still being a baby (16 weeks) but she's pulled through the surgery and she seems quite content for now.

It is heartbreaking when something happens to them. Luckily, she was insured and they have covered the huge vet bill, so we didn't have to make any decisions based on finances.

Aw such a young bun hope she be ok ! Ye her foot is getting better i think will be taking her tomoz to check. I don't have any insurance on any of mine prob stupid reli x

Back