• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's your stance?

TheCallyBear

Warren Scout
On the topic of whether rabbits need friends or not?

Basically, my mum and I both have contrasting opinions.
She believes that Eric doesn't need another friend [he's had two companions, both are sadly no longer with us]
and that he'll be perfectly fine with just us everyday. She feels that he's a confident, happy and chilled out rabbit
and is therefore content on his own. But my point is that soon Eric will have to go back outside in his hutch/run combo
and then he won't see us as much as he does now in my room. This leads me to feel that Eric needs a friend of his
own kind and that we can never substitute the 24/7 companionship and comfort that he would receive from a friend.

What is your opinion on this? What do you think is best for Eric?

In general I think most Rabbits need a Rabbit friend. But there are always exceptions to the rule. Personally I would not be at all happy keeping a single outdoor Rabbit. If a Rabbit is a singleton I think they need to be House Rabbits.

Cant Eric remain a House Rabbit ?

I think that 99% of the time, a bunny needs company of its own kind, whether indoors or outdoors. However, there are instances where it is clear a bunny is happy or happier on its own with just its human for company.

In your situation where you will be moving your bun back outside, I would definitely get a bunny companion. I don't actually think it's fair to keep a lone bunny outside where it has no company. Seeing you for a short time each day would not, in my opinion, be enough.

So I agree with you and not your Mum, Eric needs a bunny friend :D.

Phyllis was on her own outside for a little while, whilst we tried to re-bond her with her sisters. She wasn't very happy on her own (the bonding didn't work either), so we decided to get her a friend. As soon as she bonded with Muchu, she became a different rabbit - she was more playful, binkied more, ate lots of hay and generally seemed to be much happier.

As Jane says, there are always exceptions to the rule, but in my experience, most rabbits prefer the company of 'one of their own'! I know my four certainly do. So... if I were you, if he's going to live outside, I'd get Eric a friend :thumb:

Thank you guys!

My mum is going to read this once I get a few more opinions c:

Also regarding Eric being a house rabbit, I don't think so. Let's just say not everyone in the house
is keen on rabbits and personally believes they should be kept in a hutch outside. :/

Inside single is fine if he gets to see you and your mum a lot throughout the day. I would not have him outside single tho' He would need somebun to snuggle up to in the winter.

I think even indoor bunnies need a friend - we thought that Bobo would be fine on his own - but we listened to all the advice we received and got him a wife and he is such a happy boy. His wife Harley was actually very depressed until we bonded them - and now she is just as happy with her man.

We really wouldn't consider having a bunny on their own anymore - just seeing 2 bunnies loving and grooming each other is priceless. And seeing how confident Holly is now compared to when we bonded her and Sheldon together is brilliant (we had hoped Holly would calm Sheldon down - but he's actually brought out the naughty in her:thumb:).

I do obviously realise that some bunnies are happier on their own - and in some circumstances (space etc) house buns are on their own but with loads of human contact and are perfectly happy - but I really think an outside bunny needs a friend.

I agree that rabbits in general need a friend. There's the odd one that won't tolerate a friend but clearly Eric will as he's had buddies before.

One of my trio died recently and one of the two that's left is clearly missing him a lot even though she has another friend. I can't imagine how she'd be if she was left on her own :(

Genereally, I believe all rabbits should have company if they will accept a friend. However I think there are some exceptions, house bunnies in some cases can be very happy with just them and their owner, and older bunnies who lose a friend also can be, where it could be stressful to add another bunny to their life.

I can't see me ever having a single bunny again. I'd rather have no bunnies than a bunny on its own.

I agree that in normal circumstances bunnies need a friend.

We adopted a single house bun who seemed perfectly happy on his own and had been on his own his entire 3 years. I got him a companion and it was obvious how much happier he was.

Originally I was only going to get one rabbit. But seeing my two together has convinced me that I absolutely did the right thing getting two. I definitely think it is worth seeing if you can successfully bond Eric with a wifey-bun. He might seem happy now but honestly I think he will be even happier when he has company. Plus it's great entertainment to watch them! :)

Back