• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies changing colour when they moult?

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Do other people's buns change colour when they moult? Levi is an orange lion lop but since he's started moulting his fur is coming through darker, almost the colour of Daisy who is high Rufus orange, and Daisy's fur seems to be coming in darker too, except she doesn't have a noticeable moult line line Levi yet, who looks like he's got a saddle on his back :)

:wave: My lola is getting darker fur coming through on her back as well. Its a bit strange, I am standing there wondering if she will change colour completely for the winter :lol:

Maybe they do. Or else it's because they are moulting their baby fur and the new colour is the colour they are going to stay....

Ruby is agouti and she changes colour quite a lot! When I got her she was a pale sandy colour. Sometimes she turns almost grey, and sometimes she goes very dark. I've noticed her winter coat tends to be darker. I find it quite fascinating :lol:

Yes, it is isn't it! Daisy has changed quite a bit, when she was really small and still at the breeders when I went to see her she was quite bright red, then she seemed to lighten, and now darker red/orange fur is coming back through. Her mum was a red agouti, maybe that has something to do with it.

Bunny changes colour a bit when he moults, but his wifelet Poppy is even more dramatic! She is normally a black lionhead with a greyish mane, but in the summer her cheeks go tan :shock:. It's like she puts her fake tan on for her summer hols!

ce255bc209c200f7e4d3a6065d75972d.jpg

Excuse her snotty nose, she has a resp infection :(

Rosie goes from a light grey, almost slightly whiteish to a darker grey

Since Pebbles is harlequin and is dappled all over it's hard to tell what bits have changed colour :lol:

Thank goodness for this thread! The last few days I keep looking at Harli and going he's changed colour but he can't of. He also seemed to have lost his bead!

My wee Smudge is a black minilop but is turning brown at his neck ears and paws....

Yep - I always assumed that it comes through darker and then gradually over time it gets bleached by the sunlight in much the same way that curtains do, so that by the time next moult comes round, their fur is much lighter than it was when it came through.

Nala is looking the same as Levi, she has gone darker with what looks like a saddle on her back. George however is moulting badly needs brushed twice a day at the moment.

Yep - I always assumed that it comes through darker and then gradually over time it gets bleached by the sunlight in much the same way that curtains do, so that by the time next moult comes round, their fur is much lighter than it was when it came through.

That makes a lot of sense!! :)

Nala is looking the same as Levi, she has gone darker with what looks like a saddle on her back. George however is moulting badly needs brushed twice a day at the moment.

Cute! I bet George moulting a lot is something to do with you having him as a house bun now. I bet you are loving the fluff, I was covered last night after grooming Levi!!

Ailstar - my ex had a dwarf lop who was a nice sandy colour, but then he would moult and get that saddle on his back that you mentioned and ended up being much darker, his fur would be tinged with black at the end. And then he would moult again and go back to his paler colour. I never noticed if it was seasonal though, it just seemed to be constant bunny moulting :lol: - and it had a knack of always ending up in my drink, never anyone elses! :roll: I hope your buns stay nice and fluffy though for you, I love those pictures you have of them in your signature, especially Levi :love:

wow happysaz133, that's a really impressive colour change! He's so adorable though :love: and so tiny!

Back