• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice regarding stopping metacam

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Benji has been on metacam for the last 6 weeks since having his dental, he was on 0.9,once a day for 2 weeks, then the vet said to half the dose, he has been fine so the vet said to stop the metacam, can i just stop it or should i gradually stop it ie every other day, or does it not matter? I didnt know whether it would be a shock to his system to just stop it :roll:

Twinkle was on metacam and I was terrified that if I just stopped suddenly the pain would return, then the statis would return etc.

I dropped her from 0.9 to 0.6 then 0.4 over the course of a week. 0.4 isn't much at all really so I figured it couldn't be doing too much for her if she had needed 0.9 so I left her without one day and watched her and she was fine so I stopped.

My vet was happy to just stop but it was me that was panicking about it.

Have to say I have saved the spare metacam just in case:oops:

I know, just talking about it worries me, feel like I'm tempting fate and that the pain will return again;)don't want him to stop eating again, but he's living indoors permanently now so can keep a good check on him!

Was it a complicated dental or a routine?
Just wondering why vet has said metacam for 6 weeks..
If hes ok... I would just stop it... he will be fine x

Back