• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spoke to soon :(

Carolinew5

Warren Scout
My little Clover has nibbled her stitches over night and it looked a bit green took her straight to the vets this morning and he had a good feel around and found no infection inside as there was no swelling .. but has given her a course of antibiotics just to be sure .. she is ok in herself eating drinking and loads of poos and a massive wee in her carrier ohhh ... she took her medicine like a star little bit feisty at first but once she got the taste she lapped it up bless her .. just had to give her half a banana chip after that :love: Buddy of course had the other half he is doing fine :thumb:

Oh dear, I hope Clover leaves her wound alone now. A spay is a much bigger op' than a castrate, so it is usually necessary for the Doe to be prescribed an anti-inflammatory analgesic for a few days. This can help reduce pain and inflammation from the surgical wound and thus minimise the risk of the Doe nibbling at it.

The wound is looking a bit better drying nicely and not looking green but more like dried blood , she has made it easy for me to see it as she is doing that laying down thing lol which im glad of as i don't want to keep having to pick her up only when she needs her meds now for a couple of days she hasn't what Ive seen been nibbling it .. fingers crossed ...

I was given antibiotics and metacam when Doughnut was spayed. The pain relief was for a week but I don't think she needed it for that long. She didn't really nibble her stitches because she was dosed up and pain free I don't think she really noticed them! I used to put her meds and still do on a tiny bit of weetabix so I didn't need to pick her up and to be honest she hates being picked up and so syringe feeding is a nightmare.

Sounds like she's now recovering well, good luck.

Thank-you for your kind words .. we were given no pain relief to bring home but told she had had enough to see her through .. she didn't touch them till yesterday nighttime i thought maybe because there healing they may have become itchy as she has been full of beans and been eating twice as much as usual so i cant say for sure but i don't think she was in pain ? will get a good look later when i give her her treat ill get her to stand up a little on the hutch bars... Hoping next dose will be ok as she liked the taste so hopefully she will lick it from the syringe :thumb:

2nd attempt didn't go well .. will try putting it on something as suggested on here but her favorite things are banana chips and baby corn things that don't soak in stuff and im scared that if she gets the smell of it she wont eat it What then ?? I so dont want to stress the poor little love out ... :?

I put meds on a tiny bit of weetabix, Doughnut loves it and it soaks it all up really well.

Yes took your advice today this morning put it on a little cereal fed it to her through the bars of the hutch but she got the taste then wouldnt accept anything from me all day so this evening i let her have 1/2 an hour in her small run and just left 3 of the cereals one with meds on in her hutch as she knows she get her food after a run and cuddle she jumped straight in and ate them with out no fuss :) then i put the rest of her supper in... she is a clever little thing bless .. Buddy doing really well ... :) :love:

Back