• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bun has behavior changes: she try to bite my ear

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I have this bun for just over 6 years. In the past, when I stick my face close to her, she would lick my face. And quite often in the past, she would come forward and lick me.

Yesterday, when I stick my face close to her, she bite my ear, there is a bit of blood came out so I thought it's an accident. Today, when I stick my face close to her, she try to bite my ear again. So I don't know why the behaviour changes?

The only things that is different :

she was shedding a lot of fur in the past days, so as recent as yesterday, I dry pull her shed fur in the backyard. Obviously she doesn't like it, but I have done that in the past years and she never care afterwards

Now I do use some anti-ear wax in my ear, unless she doesn't like the smell, but even so, I did notice she no longer come forward and say, lick my hand, so I don't think the anti-ear wax has anything to do with it

has any1 seen this before?

Has she been checked by the vet? Big behaviour changes can be caused by pain or other health problems. A rabbit being more on-edge or touchy than usual can be an indicator of pain - just like we get grumpy when we have a bad headache or are poorly.

It may help to explain her behaviour if we look at it from her point of view : when you put your face down next to hers, in bunny language that means that you want her to groom you. In rabbit relationships, grooming is a submissive act, and a rabbit that wants to be dominant generally will not groom its partner as much. During the bonding process, if Rabbit 1 asks to be groomed but Rabbit 2 wants to be dominant, then Rabbit 2 may sometimes bite Rabbit 1 or just ignore them. Also, if Rabbit 1 asks to be groomed but Rabbit 2 does not groom them, Rabbit 1 may be offended and bite Rabbit 2.

So from your rabbit's point of view, maybe she asked you to groom her but instead you said 'no groom me, I'm the boss', which she did not like.

Changes in smell can also upset rabbits, as they identify each other by smell. So the smell of the ear-wax remover (which has hydrogen peroxide in it I believe) may upset her.

Is she neutered?

I left out an important detail: when I stick my face close to her, in the past, she used to just lick my face. But yesterday and today, she was sniffing my face for about 5 seconds, then she tries to bite me. So it could be the smell of the anti-ear wax. It's a UK product called Cerumol.

Having said that, this may or may not happen around the same time when I start Cerumol. I use Cerumol about 2 mth. ago, and I thought she stopped grooming me before that, I can't remember exactly.

Her diet is normal. So I didn't send her to the vet just for this behavior change. Her other behavior with me are the same, her behavior with her companion is the same. The only thing that change is that she won't groom me anymore. She still groom her companion.

She has been grooming me in the past 6 years. And what I do is it scratch her cheeks and her forehead and rub her ear all these years. So I don't know why the sudden changes. My guts tell me it's not the Cerumol, because I don't have Cerumol on my hand, just my ear.

She has been neutered since I pick her up at SPCA 6 yr. ago

Having said this, let me tell you, this is goofy, this is really, really goofy

Last edited:
Back