• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie has died. :-( what do I do now?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I noticed Alfie looked really ill when I went out to put the bunnies to bed. (they come in for their pellets at night and the runaround is shut to they can't get on the grass) I picked him up and checked him over and he looked fine, but was very floppy/unsteady on his feet. I took him and Sweetie, his companion to the emergency vets, but he had died by the time I got there. :cry: I thought he might, I feel awful for even taking him now, but I thought it best even if they just put him to sleep when I got there so he didn't suffer. :cry:

There was no obvious sign anything was wrong, his eyes/bum etc were clean. The vet said his gut felt 'spongey' though, so it could have been stasis, but he was definitely eating this morning. Can it happen that fast? I've been out all day (my husband has been home) and I feel so guilty and that perhaps if I had stayed home I might have noticed he was sick quicker. If I want a post mortem done, I need to take him to my own vets. I'm not sure I can stand to, to be honest, but I don't know what's best? Also, what do I do with Alfie's body? He is wrapped in a towel in the carrier at the moment until I can ring my vets in the morning. I am going to try and have him cremated. Should I put him somewhere cool like the garage? There are no cars in it, but it seems horrible to leave him out there all alone. :cry:

Also, now Sweetie is on her own. She was a bit quiet when I took her out of the carrier and she has seen Alfie's body. I've put her back out in the wendy house, as I thought she'd be better where she is used to, but she's not used to being on her own. She is thumping a bit and just laying on top of their little wooden house where they usually sleep. She hasn't finished her pellets. :cry: I don't know what to do for the best, I am worried about her. What do I need to do about a companion for her? Is a soon as possible for the best or will she need some time?

Gosh, sorry for all the questions, I've never lost a bun before and it's something I've dreaded since owning them. Alfie was my first little bundle of bunny love and I am going to miss him so much.

This is Alfie. One of the few decent photos I have of him as he always hopped over as soon as he saw me. :love:

if there were other buns, let them smell his body for 1/2 hr. or more. They need to know that he has passed away, or else they'll worry what happened to him.

And get an adopted bun or pair from 1 of the rabbit rescue close to you to refill the energy in your home

so sorry to hear this

Thankyou.

His companion, Sweetie, was in the carrier with him to and from the vets, so she has seen him. I s that long enough? I feel she knows as she was very quiet when I took her out of the carrier. (she usually hates being picked up) She is just sat where they normally sleep together now.

is it best if I put Alfie in with her for the night? I'm not sure if that's ok?

Aww I'm sorry :cry:

I would be tempted to get a pm if I had other bunnies, just incase it was something that could effect them too. I understand some people don't like the idea of it though and it's ok not to get one if your not comfortable with it, just wanted to mention it incase that hadn't crossed your mind x

Thankyou.

His companion, Sweetie, was in the carrier with him to and from the vets, so she has seen him. I s that long enough? I feel she knows as she was very quiet when I took her out of the carrier. (she usually hates being picked up) She is just sat where they normally sleep together now.

is it best if I put Alfie in with her for the night? I'm not sure if that's ok?

I personally wouldn't if she has already seen that he has passed away. You made the right choice in trying to get him to a vet as soon as you noticed.

Stasis can lead to bloat and this can kill a bunny in a few hours. I am so sorry you lost him. Was he vaccinated? (Just to rule out VHD).

I hope Sweetie picks up soon. It really does depend on the bun on how well they cope with the loss of a partner. :( I think you should give yourself a few days before considering getting her a friend, just so you can get over the shock and grieve.

Thankyou. They were both vaccinated with the combined vaccine, so I don't think it can be VHD? I wondered if he could have had a stroke as he seemed so unsteady? Would bloat cause that? Could he get bloat even though he was eating this morning?

I will ask my vets about a post mortem. Does anyone have any idea of the cost? (not that that is the main factor of course)

Sweetie has eaten a piece of carrot and is finishing her pellets, so she is OK for now I think. I'll keep a very close eye on her. I've cleaned out the litter tray so I can check she is going to toilet normally, just in case.

i am so very sorry. i have just been through the same with matt. he was fine and eating, then suddenly very ill and unsteady. we don't know why. :cry: so sorry for your loss. xxx

i am so very sorry. i have just been through the same with matt. he was fine and eating, then suddenly very ill and unsteady. we don't know why. :cry: so sorry for your loss. xxx

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's so horrible, isn't it? :cry: I feel so guilty, like I should have noticed he was sick sooner.

Did your vet have any idea as to what the cause could have been? Sorry if that's a difficult question. I had to go to the emergency vets and I got the impression they aren't exactly rabbit savvy. :cry:

How is your other bunny (Biscuit?) coping?

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's so horrible, isn't it? :cry: I feel so guilty, like I should have noticed he was sick sooner.

Did your vet have any idea as to what the cause could have been? Sorry if that's a difficult question. I had to go to the emergency vets and I got the impression they aren't exactly rabbit savvy. :cry:

How is your other bunny (Biscuit?) coping?

honestly, how quick he became ill was in the space of ten mins, it really was that quick. i was watching him so know. if there had been any clue at all then you would have noticed.

we don't know what the cause was with matt. tests showed anaemia, dehydration and very low red blood count aswell, but nothing else.

i wonder if they were just shutting down that way, because matt also had a normal tum and eating and then at the vets his tum felt wrong. it just sounds similar - the time, the tum, being unsteady.

it sounds like it was either just their time, or something was going on inside that either shocked them suddenly, or that was going on for a while and suddenly became too much. it's so sad. :cry:

it's so awful, it really is. i want to send you a massive hug.

thank you for asking about bisc. he is doing ok now but was very stressed and upset at first and then on and off, but he is doing well.

so sorry again, and i hope you get some answers if you go for the post mortem. hugs x

Thanks for replying, it must be very hard for you. It's awful for another bun to be left too. :cry:

I think I'll try and get a PM done, just so I know. I just feel a bit numb now I've stopped crying. I think it will take a while to sink in properly.

Thanks for replying, it must be very hard for you. It's awful for another bun to be left too. :cry:

I think I'll try and get a PM done, just so I know. I just feel a bit numb now I've stopped crying. I think it will take a while to sink in properly.

it's such an awful feeling. :cry: message me if you ever need to. xxx

I'm so sorry about your loss :cry: Binky free Alfie. Sending hugs to you and nose rubs to sweetie xx

Back