• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about woods used in rabbit beddings: White Poplar Wood Pellets

warlepus

Young Bun
Hi, I'm currently housing a rabbit in my bedroom and the store where I shop for his supplies recommended wood pellets for bedding, litter tray, etc. The said item is made of White Poplar and I was wondering if this substance was toxic to rabbits. I haven't found any literature online - not sure if it's because I'm not using the right keywords - but it would be great if anyone could alleviate any fears I have as my rabbit is now using the said pellets.

I use megazorb and hay in my litter trays. This is perfectly ok for bunnies. When you say "bedding", do you mean your rabbit would be sleeping on it? This isn't good because even the wood pellets are quite dusty. My rabbits free range in my bedroom and just have the carpet/vet beds and towels to lie on.

I use megazorb and hay in my litter trays. This is perfectly ok for bunnies. When you say "bedding", do you mean your rabbit would be sleeping on it? This isn't good because even the wood pellets are quite dusty. My rabbits free range in my bedroom and just have the carpet/vet beds and towels to lie on.

Well, not for his actual hutch/bed. But there's this twig basket he uses as a litter box/chew toy and I have it in there for extra absorbency. He does nap in it from time to time so I guess it's sorta like "bedding". His cage is one of those wire cages (lined the floor with rubber place mats). The bottom has a removable tray I can clean out.

I temporarily stopped the pellets and used wood shavings instead.

I use pine wood pellets as litter. They are cat litter pellets but they work well for me.
I would imagine they are similar to the ones you are describing.

Shavings are not so good, they can cause bunnies to have respitory issues.

No, definitely don't use wood shavings. The wood based cat litter should be fine. I just found they were quite smelly and rabbits would eat them. :shock: I changed to the megazorb because it is dirt cheap. I buy a huge sack for £8 and it lasts me months. :thumb:

I would probably use a litter tray rather than a wood basket. :thumb:

No, definitely don't use wood shavings. The wood based cat litter should be fine. I just found they were quite smelly and rabbits would eat them. :shock: I changed to the megazorb because it is dirt cheap. I buy a huge sack for £8 and it lasts me months. :thumb:

OP is in the phillipines and may not be able to get megazorb there.

Thanks for the head's up. Levi's cage has a tray for the litter but the floors are separate. He's more interested in eating brown paper bags than the pellets or wood shavings.

Yeah, megazorb isn't anything I've seen on shelves here. Only Jolly pet products from China - I believe it's bec they're the closest manufacturers to us.

The wood basket is temporary though I've lined the bottom with plastic covers. Thanks for the replies. Just glad I'm not giving the bun something potentially toxic.

I use pine wood pellets as litter. They are cat litter pellets but they work well for me.
I would imagine they are similar to the ones you are describing.

Shavings are not so good, they can cause bunnies to have respitory issues.

I'm kinda more worried about the wood pellets as they turn into fine powder with just a bit of pressure...

What about newspaper? I use that (and hay) with two of mine. It does need changing quite often but works well.

Back