• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

worried about bisc and his grief-u/d-doing ok

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
he was doing ok but now just suddenly seems very upset and stressed. he's frantically digging at the blanket and seems to go angry and then sad. he doesn't seem to know what to do. he looks really upset. :cry:

Last edited:
Oh poor Bisc. :( Is he a bunny who likes cuddles?

no, not really. he won't be picked up and cuddled. we lie with him and he likes that for a bit but he seems to be getting agitated. all night he wanted to be with me and then suddenly he will seem angry at me. :cry: he's always been so close to me but i'm not matt, and that is who he wants. :cry:

o/h is stroking him now.

it's bisc's eyes. they look so sad. :cry:

I'm sorry you and bisc are having a hard time :( when Elmo lost his first wifeybun twix he was really depressed, I did some clicker training with him to keep him occupied and help bond with him, since he is also not very cuddly! Is that something you could maybe try?

Ah that's really sad. It's difficult for you as you have still grieving Matt but now have a sad bunny on your hands too.

I know some people say to bond another rabbit with the other one quite quickly, but I have no knowledge of this since I only have Doughnut.

Lots of hugs and nose rubs for little Biscuit.

I'm sorry you and bisc are having a hard time :( when Elmo lost his first wifeybun twix he was really depressed, I did some clicker training with him to keep him occupied and help bond with him, since he is also not very cuddly! Is that something you could maybe try?

me and bisc are really close. i just can't pick him up to cuddle but we are very much bonded. although he seems to want me, then seems angry at me. :cry: he is being comforted more by my o/h who he is close to, but never as much as with me. o/h is calm though and i am not and bisc really responds to my emotions. hope i am not making things worse for him. :(

Ah that's really sad. It's difficult for you as you have still grieving Matt but now have a sad bunny on your hands too.

I know some people say to bond another rabbit with the other one quite quickly, but I have no knowledge of this since I only have Doughnut.

Lots of hugs and nose rubs for little Biscuit.

i'm not sure how he would take to bonding really. or whether any rescue would let us because bisc has snuffles, although his are controlled and stable. :(

i tried a cuddly toy but he hated it. he was really upset and attacked it and then threw it and after i moved it he was frantically digging the blanket :cry:

me and bisc are really close. i just can't pick him up to cuddle but we are very much bonded. although he seems to want me, then seems angry at me. :cry: he is being comforted more by my o/h who he is close to, but never as much as with me. o/h is calm though and i am not and bisc really responds to my emotions. hope i am not making things worse for him. :(

sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you weren't close to bisc! I hadnt had elmo long when we lost twix so i just meant that was the situation for me. Clicker training just helped distract Elmo from his grief x

sorry I didn't mean to suggest that you weren't close to bisc! I hadnt had elmo long when we lost twix so i just meant that was the situation for me. Clicker training just helped distract Elmo from his grief x

it's ok, i know you didn't mean that. i just thought i had made it sound like bisc wasn't a people bun or something. i don't explain things well at the best of times :roll: x

oh no... we think it might be his teeth :( he's gone ages without a dental but not eating as much at the vets would be all it might take for him to get spurs again. he's on metacam anyway and i've started him on metaclopramide now aswell. he seems to be struggling to eat hay and has started producing awful caecs again so he probably has tummy ache aswell. all this on top of the grief. :(

Some rabbits need time to grieve whereas others want to go straight back into another relationship. He might be one that just needs time to adjust.
To be honest digging at the toy just sounds like a rabbit having fun. Grim is a right one for chucking things around like that. If it is just him getting his stress out, why don't you try some digging boxes with shredded paper or hay for him to really dig and bite at.

Loads of vibes it's not his teeth. :(

I hope it isn't his teeth. :(
A digging box sounds like it might be a good idea though, like the bunny equivalent of a punch ball?

we can't give him cardboard or paper to shred because he eats it. :( i could fill the carrier with hay though on top of a blanket and then he can dig through it and it doesn't matter if he gets it filthy. never thought of that before. thanks for the idea.

good news is he wants me around him again now. he's resting alot and i have put a blanket around him for warmth.

he is chewing nothing though and is also sounding more 'snuffly'. his snuffle flare up is more that he snores and snorts in his sleep, rather than having a wet nose.

i'll go get him the carrier now and see if that gets his interest. x

he ran over to see the carrier. he did some digging because i hid some of his beloved probiotics in there aswell as hay. that's the most he has been interested in anything all day. :love:

Box of sand and soil?

i don't have any but could get some at some point. we were hoping to do that anyway for their aviary. :( matt won't get to use that now :cry: it was mainly for him aswell. :cry:

on a better note - bisc has perked up a bit. he was digging in the carrier and then begging for probiotics and he wants to be with me now for comfort so that's really good. since he has had metaclopramide he has seemed much better aswell. he's got a sensitive tum anyway so the stress must be awful for him. :(

at least he is seeming brighter though, although he tends to be fine and then has some quiet time again where he seems sad. we're helping him through this though as best we can. we will take things at his pace and see what happens day by day.

He really does just sound like he's going through grieving. I read of quite a few bunnies who will seem okay at one time, then be angry and stroppy the next, then they'll settle again or drop into a funk. I think it's all part of the process.
You are very keyed into his moods though and will know best what's ailing him. I hope he isn't having a dental episode and that he will be feeling better soon.
Hugs to you too. xxxx

He really does just sound like he's going through grieving. I read of quite a few bunnies who will seem okay at one time, then be angry and stroppy the next, then they'll settle again or drop into a funk. I think it's all part of the process.
You are very keyed into his moods though and will know best what's ailing him. I hope he isn't having a dental episode and that he will be feeling better soon.
Hugs to you too. xxxx

thank you. x

he is eating fine now but that could just be the metacam increase, but hopefully he is ok. he's starting to do more of his normal behaviours now aswell, like waiting for me to change his trays and being more interested in things aswell.

he's asleep next to me at the min, snoring away bless him. :love:

i'm staying up with him aslong as he needs me to. i don't feel like i can sleep anyway. i hope he will be ok tomorrow when we go to the crematorium. x

erm... i take it bisc doing binkies is a good sign :shock: they accept much more easily than we do don't they. i am glad he is happier now. we're just relaxing watching tv and having some kisses. :love:

so proud of him. :love:

o/h thinks that bisc seemed better after meds but then much better when i started to be better around him. if i feel like breaking down, i go to the bathroom, cry it out and compose myself and then i push it aside in my head as best as i can, and then try and act as normally as possible when back around bisc. i hope this has helped him.

i'm going to try and make a fold up mesh cube fence tomorrow so i can sleep on the settee and bisc can stay out through the night aswell. he doesn't want to be shut in his area but i need to know he isn;t going to escape from the lounge whilst i'm asleep, or get tangled in the curtains again. :roll:

i am so glad he isn't angry now and is letting me comfort him. we are really close and he has me and o/h so is never alone. i know we aren't matt but he has been with me everyday of his life, we bonded instantly when i got him, so i hope i can be enough for him as he goes through this difficult time.

i think he will have sad times aswell as binkies but hopefully the sad times will become less and less and he can be happy again. :love:

Last edited:
Awww, that sounds very encouraging :)
Yeah, they really pick up on our feelings don't they? :( I'm afraid all my bunnies are stressed because things are so up in the air with our upcoming move and it is REALLY hard to keep my lid on most days, so they sense my angst which I don't want for them. :(
My wee Yorkie is the same way. She's been seriously stressed for months now. Too much going on this summer I'm afraid.

I am glad to hear Bisc is stabilizing. I think time moves much faster for them. He will probably have a few down times still, but giving him new things to do, like the open space you're planning, will distract him well and get him thinking about happier times. And maybe he can help you too, although I know for us it takes longer, but his closeness will give you something to focus on each day and ease the grief for you.

That was Mimzy. I was very down even though I'd survived cancer treatment, and he gave me a reason to be up and about in the morning again. I owe him so much. :)

Thinking of you and continuing to send comforting and peaceful vibes your way. xxxx

Back