• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

proper meadow hay what are your thoughts

weeble

I have been given a round bale of meadow hay to use to work out how many small round bales it is equivalent to.

The actual hay is really lovely fresh green hay but it also has a lot of stalks and thistle heads in it. The rabbits seem to quite like it would the meadowyness of it put you off?

I buy bags of meadow hay from our local pet shop. It has stalks and all sorts in it. The bunnies sort through it and find the best stuff! Some of it is lovely long green strands at the moment. They love it!

The meadowyness is what would attract me to it!

ETA It should be around 10-13 bales. A square bale is 25-30kg and round 300-400kg. It depends on the type of hay and how densely the baler was set when harvesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, the buns love the proper stuff. And generally if it's safe for horses it's fine for bunnies so you don't need to overly worry what's in there. They love thistles though. :)

The meadowyness is what would attract me to it!

ETA It should be around 10-13 bales. A square bale is 25-30kg and round 300-400kg. It depends on the type of hay and how densely the baler was set when harvesting.

I think its going to be closer to two they are only little and not that compact. A small square lasts exactly two weeks so I will able to work it out easily

Back