• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flaky ears!

clarebear

Mama Doe
Just checking Bramble's ears this morning, and noticed that there is flaky skin in them....anyone know what may have caused this please? :?

it could be a sign of mites, fungal, wax maybe, or just dry skin. get the vets to check it over and if they think it's needed, they can take a scraping for testing. :wave:

If it's flaky rather than crusty it could be the normal skin 'peeling' away as new skin grows. Normally they will get rid of it through their normal grooming routine, so it could be a sign maybe that Bramble is a little off balance, stiff or wobbly and unable to clean inside them properly. Skin issues inside ears can also be a sign of ear mites. Dudley gets flaky skin in his ears sometimes as his balance isn't that great these days so he sometimes struggles to bend round to clean them properly.

Has Bramble seemed at all wobbly or stiff recently?

My smudge had brown flaky skin and it was earmites?? If it is brown, dont remove the flakes as it may be sore???

i dont know wht else it could be. I had to go to Vets.

good luck.x

If it's flaky rather than crusty it could be the normal skin 'peeling' away as new skin grows. Normally they will get rid of it through their normal grooming routine, so it could be a sign maybe that Bramble is a little off balance, stiff or wobbly and unable to clean inside them properly. Skin issues inside ears can also be a sign of ear mites. Dudley gets flaky skin in his ears sometimes as his balance isn't that great these days so he sometimes struggles to bend round to clean them properly.

Has Bramble seemed at all wobbly or stiff recently?

He seems fine. I just noticed it last night, and decided to investigate it this morning!

It's just white and flaky, not sure if it's skin or ear wax. He hasn't really been scratching his ears a lot or anything that I've noticed.

Could be ear mites caught early. My Emrys caught ear mites and withing 2 days the flakiness turned brown and crusty but I have seen the process is slower in other buns. As bad as Emrys' ears where I never saw him scratch either. But it might hurt and impede the ability to hear properly so I would pop him down to the vet. They can give some soothing ear drops and mite treatment if that is the cause.

As an elderly bunny, Flora can no longer clean her ears herself. I had a long chat and instruction session with my vet and I now have to clean them for her with a cotton bud. As a bunny ages, the skin cells reproduce/shed more slowly resulting in a build up of dead skin and ear wax. This causes irritation and needs to be removed - gently! My vet first ruled out ear mites so make sure you check that first.

Last edited:
Back