• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing rabbits

Lyns

New Kit
Hey!!

Anyone got any advice how to introduce our new 7 week old female to our 15 week old female?

Would it be better to do it on a neutral ground rather than putting the new one into the hutch?

No PLEASE don't put new one in hutch.
Bonding has to be done very carefully and slowly and, yes, in neutral territory.

I did think that.

Any tips how to do it

I think you have posted this in the wrong section. If you look in the section "Bonding and behaviour", you will get a lot of info on bonding rabbits. I strongly suggest that you wait until BOTH are neutered, as this will make it much more likely for them to bond. You will have to split them anyway when they get neutered and sometimes this can completely break the bond and you'll have to start again.

I agree with V-B: if you wait until they are both spayed you'll stand a much better chance of them bonding. If you don't, you could bond (or think you have) and then when the hormones kick in they could start fighting.

Where did you get the 7w week old? It's a bit concerning as rabbits shouldn't be away from the mother until at least week 8 .

Where did you get the 7w week old? It's a bit concerning as rabbits shouldn't be away from the mother until at least week 8 .

Wow, I totally missed this. 7 Weeks is very young, I would not bond him/her until older. Such a young bun will be very prone to illness/stress. Are you keeping him/her indoors?

Also 2 females are the worst pairing, apparently (I have never had same sex bonds). Ideally it should be a neutered male/female pair.

Back