• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been to the vets today!

LeahsRabbits

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I don't know if you saw my thread a couple of weeks back regarding Blossom leaving his cecals. Him and Leo are both doing it, but we only took Blossom as we only had 1 carrier, but the vet has given us something for both of them.

They said the leaving of the cecals could be down to 3 things - An imbalance of the gut flora, worms, or stress from the divider in the shed. She gave us some Bio-Lapis probiotics for their water (which Blossom hates, but Leo doesn't seem to mind) and some panacur wormer which they took on a fenugreek crunchie without any problem.

Let's hope this will sort the pair of them out!

Is there any way I can encourage Blossom to drink it from his bowl? It said put one sachet with every 50ml of water, so I put 100ml in each of their bowls and 2 sachet's, but I ended up having to add more water because it wasn't dissolving properly!

I wouldn't put it in water, I washed a tub with some biolapis in and soaked it.. it started growing :shock:

I just emptied it over veg and/or forage.

The can't have veg atm because of the cecal problem, and i'd already fed them so I had no choice but to put it in water. If no drank by tomorrow i'll soak some grass or something in it, and feed it to them that way

I think it was expanding after a few hours, but weird to watch but I guess it's only good bacteria :lol: the only problem I had with it was the smell! Charlie wouldn't touch it unless it was mixed with a crunched up fibrefirst stick, Leo has been good and eating it with his veg though. Also taking his panacur off a fenugreek crunchie.. For once!

The vet has only given us enough of the bio-lapis for 2 days, but online it says give it to them for 5 days :/ I've used up 4 sachets today as i've put 2 sachets in each bowl with 100ml of water and now I only have 2 sachet's left..

Could you go and get some more? I was only treating one rabbit at a time so I would have thought they would have given you enough. Our vet said 5 days but there were 6 sachets so we rang up and she said the extra day would be fine.

Could you go and get some more? I was only treating one rabbit at a time so I would have thought they would have given you enough. Our vet said 5 days but there were 6 sachets so we rang up and she said the extra day would be fine.

We've paid enough with vet bills :( I don't know what to do now...

How much did they charge you for the biolapis?

I don't have a clue lol! We told her it was for 2 bunnies and she said there would be enough.. Maybe she said that because they don't need to be on it for 5 days? If I was going to give both of them the biolapis for 5 days i'd need 10 sachets.. She must of only given me 6 for a reason

Hmmm, weird! It's not expensive, about £5 for a 6 sachet box so if you did need more you shouldn't have to pay a lot if you just picked more up :)

Hmmm, weird! It's not expensive, about £5 for a 6 sachet box so if you did need more you shouldn't have to pay a lot if you just picked more up :)

I just don't see why she'd give me 6 if she didn't think it'd be enough .. She seemed to know what she was talking about, i'll just have to see!

Back