• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are any wood shavings safe?

scatter

Alpha Buck
I stopped using shavings years ago, because of hearing about the problems associated with them. I was just wondering if there are any that are okay?:wave:

No idea, there are just so many alternatives that are less messy, more absorbent, don't produce phenols etc.

I know snowflake shavings have minimal dust so that is the 'best', I had to use a big bag for my hamster once and it was good but wouldn't use them again, my first rabbit Poppy is still suffering now. Sneezing fits are a common occurrence.

Fitch is my bedding of choice, it's super absorbent and worth the money. £15 inc delivery. I only use it for my hamsters though, my rabbits are on lino and litter trays are lined with newspaper and hay. Megazorb is very absorbent too and cheap to buy, as is auboise.

I know snowflake shavings have minimal dust so that is the 'best', I had to use a big bag for my hamster once and it was good but wouldn't use them again, my first rabbit Poppy is still suffering now. Sneezing fits are a common occurrence.

Fitch is my bedding of choice, it's super absorbent and worth the money. £15 inc delivery. I only use it for my hamsters though, my rabbits are on lino and litter trays are lined with newspaper and hay. Megazorb is very absorbent too and cheap to buy, as is auboise.

I quite like the look of the Fitch. I just want something that won't tempt them to eat it - one of them is a nibbler of bedding!

I quite like the look of the Fitch. I just want something that won't tempt them to eat it - one of them is a nibbler of bedding!

Where will you use it? If you cover it with hay then it shouldn't be a problem. I used Fitch with Charlie after her spay so it was nice and soft and she eats anything, she never ate that though thankfully. You can get smaller bags and could probably ask for a test pack to see?

I used megazorb for ages but had to stop because my hamsters were just flattening it so it went hard :roll: I used it in my indoor buns litter trays and it was so absorbent, really good. And for the price too it was well worth it.

Where will you use it? If you cover it with hay then it shouldn't be a problem. I used Fitch with Charlie after her spay so it was nice and soft and she eats anything, she never ate that though thankfully. You can get smaller bags and could probably ask for a test pack to see?

I used megazorb for ages but had to stop because my hamsters were just flattening it so it went hard :roll: I used it in my indoor buns litter trays and it was so absorbent, really good. And for the price too it was well worth it.

Oh right - thanks. I would use it in their base cage in our living room (they have two litter trays which I would put the Fitch on and then cover with hay).

I use a thick layer of newspaper and then hay. I stopped using shavings many years ago - don't want to take unnecessary risks.

Back