• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise needed - Bonding two females and poo!

Lemonade

Warren Scout
A little background: I started off with two bunnies who were the same age, enjoyed each other's supervised time together (neither were 'done') and all was happy until one night in July when our little boy bunny escaped - never to be found in neighbours gardens or handed in to the local vets or RSPCA :(

I left it until a week ago and then decided I would get another bun to keep Toffee company so upgraded to a 6ft hutch and 7ft run and was keeping an ear out.

Fast forward to today when I'm in PAH and spot a lovely little bunny up for adoption. I enquired and she is 18 month old Socks. Apparently someone owned her and their kids lost interest so the neighbour took her who's kids promptly lost interest too so she ended up at PAH. She's very nervous but I'm hoping this all works out for the best.

So, I understand that bonding two females can be harder work. They're in separate hutches next door to each other so I guess they can smell each other. Toffee is booked in to be spayed on Monday and I'll call tomorrow to get Socks booked in ASAP. I then intend to leave them separate for a month or two before I try and bond them.

I have two runs, one which will fit inside the other so was wondering whether the best way to start off was to put one inside the other or next door so they get used to the fact that the other exists?

Has anyone got any advice from previous experiences RE bonding two females and trying to help Socks with her nervousness?

Have put her in her hutch and left her be for now. Will feed her when I feed Toffee but intended to simply give her some quiet time...

Sorry for the essay!

L x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
This is Socks :D

e7y9ury8.jpg

And this is Toffee :D
epaju7u4.jpg

Socks is very quiet but is out in her run at the moment and is coming out to eat some grass. Fingers crossed, she'll be just fine.

Hiya, they are gorgeous :love: you might get more replies if you change the thread title so people know what it's about, like 'advice needed for bonding 2 females' :wave:

I believe it can be very difficult, even when spayed, but it's not impossible, and you won't know until you try I guess :? There are loads of bonding threads on here, just have a browse x

Cheers! :)

I think they're gorgeous too :D Just going to take everything really slowly and hope for the best me thinks.

On a side note, Socks hasn't pooed since she came home at 5pm last night but she has eaten... I guess she's a bit confused but is there anything I could do?

Cheers! :)

I think they're gorgeous too :D Just going to take everything really slowly and hope for the best me thinks.

On a side note, Socks hasn't pooed since she came home at 5pm last night but she has eaten... I guess she's a bit confused but is there anything I could do?

Putting bonding aside at present, I would be very worried about her if she has not passed any droppings since 5 pm last night and, if it were me, I would get her seen by the vet asap.

So the vet checked her over, had a good feel of her tummy and says that she can feel faeces there so isn't sure why she hasn't passed it. Everything feels normal, she's bright and alert so vet reckons she's just holding on to it for some reason.
Says just to keep an eye on her, give her some veggies to encourage her eating and see how she is tomorrow.
Because of Socks' nervous history, she thinks she's taking longer than average to settle in...

Bought Socks into the living room now that my daughter is in bed. She had some carrot in her hutch that she has eaten and I've put some pellets and hay out in the living room. Now that she's feeling a little more confident, she's exploring the room slowly... Fingers crossed she poops soon. She's a cute wee thing.

Back