• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did the Burrowers Baby Rabbits REALLY End up as Pet Shop Stock ?

I'd hope not. I've tweeted Chris Packham to ask, I would be surprised if he would knowingly allow it: he's very much into conservation of wildlife.

I haven't watched any of this, but are we saying that they got breeder rabbits to live as wild rabbits, then when the experiment was over, they were given back to the breeder? That seems really unethical.

I haven't watched any of this, but are we saying that they got breeder rabbits to live as wild rabbits, then when the experiment was over, they were given back to the breeder? That seems really unethical.

That appears to be exactly what happened :cry:

Still, they are 'only Rabbits'.................................

:censored:

OMG that is disgusting. As pro wildlife as Chris Packham seems I get the impression that he and many others do not value the rabbit as a species and to echo Jane there is a massive prevailing mindset that they are 'only rabbits' :censored: :evil: I hate that attitude.

That is wrong, they let them breed so much & it should have been better managed, a couple of litters maybe - even that would have been too many! I too thought Chris Packham genuinely cared, seems not!

OMG that is disgusting. As pro wildlife as Chris Packham seems I get the impression that he and many others do not value the rabbit as a species and to echo Jane there is a massive prevailing mindset that they are 'only rabbits' :censored: :evil: I hate that attitude.

At least when I was growing up, "wildlife" and "animal rights" seemed somewhat separate concerns (we had family membership of the RSPB, WWF, Friends of the Earth, National Trust and so on). Whilst organisations like these and - so far as I was aware - members wouldn't advocate cruelty to animals, species that had high populations, especially non-native ones, weren't really valued, were just ignored, and I can't remember being encouraged towards sympathy for them except in fiction. I still think of having pets as all heart, no head (as they are not really good for the environment).

That is quite a con, considering the achievements of wildlife filming, to use domestic animals in a programme like this. And these days I am surprised that they did something like selling the rabbits on - did they not even consult the RSPCA? (Though on here the RSPCA's knowledge and responses to rabbits sounds very dependent on individual staff.)

At the end it said some went back to the breeder and some were staying. I said to dh i hope to god they neuter the ones that stay.

At the end it said some went back to the breeder and some were staying. I said to dh i hope to god they neuter the ones that stay.

I thought that.

Has anybody emailed the BBC to see what the breeder did with them? I noticed that you never saw any of the "coloured" babies as adults. :/

Yes, I e-mailed the BBC about a week ago but I've still not had a reply. I'm fuming about their complete disregard for these poor rabbits.

If you email and complain to the bbc they have to respond, I used to work for them a while ago and they do have to respond to you within a certain amount of time (can't remember how much) if its a formal complaint.

It is just horrible, they wouldn't allow this to happen to dogs and then just throw the puppies back to a breeder or to dog homes as people would be up in arms, I'm so sad that so many people just see rabbits as disposable pets :-(

Back