• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't relax... *updated*

Schez

Mama Doe
My Reggie is at the vets. :(

He is eating less and less hay so he is going in to get his teeth checked, and to top it all off, when I was brushing him this morning, white flaky stuff like dandruff came off the brush. After research - I'm guessing its mites. I feel so bad right now. I feel I've let him down. :cry:

Last edited:
Aww, sending hugs. You've not let him down, you've got him to the vets as soon as he needed treatment xx

Thank you so much.. I know I must sound o.t.t. but I feel sick. I'm just keeping busy. Gonna clean his den and sort his toys ready. Hubby has a list of questions and orders to accept any treatment he needs there and then. The only reason I'm not going is because I can't lift Reggie whilst in the crate and his car is bigger, and we can't fit me, him and our two boys in. It's driving me crazy. :oops: oh I forgot to ask about his brush? Can it be cleaned or should I just chuck it and get a new one (he has his own brush - it's not shared with the other bunnies)

Hope your bunny is ok ... I was like you to yesterday had both mine in having ops i felt a bit silly but done loads of baking to pass the time lol :oops:

Aww, no you don't sound ott, just normal to me :D if any of my fur babies are at the vets I'm the same. Not sure about the brush but I think it would be ok if it was washed well, you could soak it in boiling water and spray with rabbit safe cleaner?

Mites can sometimes occur becaus the buns immune system is low or in a dental bun who has issues grooming. Unfortunately as a prey species bun hide illness very well and it can often be missed so try not to feel bad. The trick is to learn your bunny insid out so you notice even subtle little things such as change in habits as this is often th only way you can tell if something is not quite right.

Update

Ok... So here goes:

Reggie's teeth appear "fine and healthy" my husband (bless him) pressed further and got the vet to agree to check again whilst Reggie is under GA for his neuter at the end of September... BUT the slightest hint that Reggie still shows no sign of improvement, I'll go back ask them to look again.

So, he was weighed. And at 7kg he is fine, healthy and lean... :shock: ears, nose, eyes clear... All other checks cleared and he is a healthy rabbit.

The vet says to preserver with the hay and offer dandelions and other garden things...

The vet then said they could do a scrape for mites but they want to go straight for treatment. The jab apparently is the most cost effective in getting rid... So hubby said yes please... they didn't have any. ????????! *face palm*

Sigh... But we will be notified when to bring him in for treatment.

Feeling better that he is home... And thank you to everyone for replying and sharing their knowledge. Feel exhausted. *sinks on sofa with Reggie*

Back