• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Causes of excess cecals..

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I adopted Rose about two days ago and while there are loads 'normal' and rather golden poos, she is leaving some cecals.

What do you think the cause could be? Stress of the move/too many pellets/something else?

I feed her about a small handful or two of pellets morning and night (yesterday she had a some at lunch too) and I think it may be a bit too much (too many pellets gives Humphrey excess cecals) but as she is young (10/12 weeks) I don't want to give her too few pellets!

Also, when do you think I can start the change over to her new food? Fibafirst probably.

Thanks! :)

It could be a combination of stress and too many pellets

I would cut back on the pellets and make sure she is eating lots of hay. I would not change her pellets over for a couple of weeks.

It could be a combination of stress and too many pellets

I would cut back on the pellets and make sure she is eating lots of hay. I would not change her pellets over for a couple of weeks.

Thanks.
Is she still too young to be on an eggcup of pellets a day do you think?

My two were 9 weeks old when they came home. They both have an egg cup of pellets each a day since day one. They eat loads of hay throughout the day. Both are healthy and growing...fast!

Could be the stress - but we always had problems with Harley as she was producing excess cecals - purely from too many pellets and treats (I think we tried to comfort feed her until she was bonded:oops:) - once she was bonded and was eating less pellets and more hay - these been no more cecals. I do notice that if I give her too many treats - then I will see cecals so the only treat she has these days is a fenugreek crunchie.

Buffy was only about 9 weeks when we brough her home and she only gets an eggcup full - 18 grams - of excel junior pellets each day - split into 3 feeds (morning, evening and bedtime) - she eats loads of hay and produces the best poos ( and lots of them :shock: ). Although she is now about 11 weeks - I won't be increasing her pellets anytime soon - she is putting on weight, is full of energy and seems a very healthy little baby (so far - NOT tempting fate!). I will start changing her over to SS adult pellets when she is about 16 weeks or so - very slowly of course.

So try cutting back on the pellets - but cut back slowly if she is used to a certain amount each day.

Good luck - :thumb:

Could be the stress - but we always had problems with Harley as she was producing excess cecals - purely from too many pellets and treats (I think we tried to comfort feed her until she was bonded:oops:) - once she was bonded and was eating less pellets and more hay - these been no more cecals. I do notice that if I give her too many treats - then I will see cecals so the only treat she has these days is a fenugreek crunchie.

Buffy was only about 9 weeks when we brough her home and she only gets an eggcup full - 18 grams - of excel junior pellets each day - split into 3 feeds (morning, evening and bedtime) - she eats loads of hay and produces the best poos ( and lots of them :shock: ). Although she is now about 11 weeks - I won't be increasing her pellets anytime soon - she is putting on weight, is full of energy and seems a very healthy little baby (so far - NOT tempting fate!). I will start changing her over to SS adult pellets when she is about 16 weeks or so - very slowly of course.

So try cutting back on the pellets - but cut back slowly if she is used to a certain amount each day.

Good luck - :thumb:

I think I'm doing the same!! :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone- good to know I can cut back pellets still with her being young. I'll gradually decrease and see what happens. :)

Forgot to mention some of the cecals are soft.
She's in for her vaccinations on Tuesday, do you think I should mention it?
Or is it most likely just diet?

Back