• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could Toffee be scared of heights?!

Lemonade

Warren Scout
Toffee is 6 months old and ever since we've had her (from 9 weeks), she's hated being picked up. If she has all four feet on the ground she's absolutely fine and loves coming over to see how you are etc but I can't pick her up without her scrabbling and scratching me to death!
I know they're prey animals and I expect her to be a little timid but is there much more I can do than try and bond with her some more?
I would quite like to be able to give her a cuddle without a thick fleece on!
TIA x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi,
I've had one of my buns since he was a baby, he is now 3, and despite picking him up everyday in the early days to get him used to it, he never did. Now I just cuddle him on the ground, but only if he will allow me!:lol:
He will now tolerate being picked up to be checked without too much of a fuss but its taken years to get to that stage.
Cute and furry - yes, cuddly - absolutely not! ;)

If she doesn't like being picked up you just need to learn to give affection on her terms. If she panics so much that you have to wear a fleece then its best to stay on her level, letting her climb on you.

It's not so much that I have to wear the fleece, it's more of a precautionary measure due to previous events. She's better than she used to be and will now allow me to carry her from the hutch to the run but I think that's as far as we're going to get for now :)

It's not so much that I have to wear the fleece, it's more of a precautionary measure due to previous events. She's better than she used to be and will now allow me to carry her from the hutch to the run but I think that's as far as we're going to get for now :)

None of my rabbits like being picked up, I just snuggle them on the floor, which they all love :love:

If a bunny dislikes being picked up, then just don't pick them up. They will probably never like being picked up. Fiver doesn't mind being picked up and lets me squish him and kiss him, he doesn't "like" it but he allows me to do this. :lol: My other bun, Xena, HATES it, she only gets picked up if I need to check her for anything or put her in the carrier (she HATES the carrier just as much as being picked up, so tempting her in is out of question lol).

Be grateful for what you have :thumb: Bobo absolutely hates being picked and will fight like a demon - we just don't do it at all. Even the vets will examine him on the floor - (and it takes about 3 of them to do so :oops:).

None of our other rabbits like it either - but will submit after a brief struggle. We only pick them up when we absolutly have to - usually to get them out of some ridiculous situation they've got themselves into :thumb:

Flo doesnt like being picked up so to move her between places i either let her hop into her vet carrier (which she happily does) or if i need to carry her i find she stays calm as long as i cover her eyes with one hand or tuck her head under my arm to cover her!

Back