• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matt-u/d he's gone-u/d-vets thoughts p226

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
he was fine all day and then out of nowhere he hid in the hut and when i checked him he looked ill and tired. i made him move and he was wobbly and seemed too tired to stand and walk. :(

rang the vets and took him straight there. she checked him really thoroughly but there was nothing obvious.

we're back home now but now he won't eat, after eating normally all day. he seems really tired and is sat in his corner. :cry:

i don't know what is wrong. :cry:

can he have vibes please. we are back at the vets in the morning if he doesn't improve overnight.

eta: forgot to say that he weighed a bit less than normal aswell.

eta: matt passed on 31st august.

matt_zpscb222433.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Matt :cry:

Could his chronic Snuffles have now started to effect his ears ? That would explain his wobbliness, lethargy and anorexia.

Poor Matt :cry:

Could his chronic Snuffles have now started to effect his ears ? That would explain his wobbliness, lethargy and anorexia.

this was my thought aswell jane because the last few days he has cleared out alot of mucus and it has worn him out alot. :(

she checked his ears and there was nothing obvious there but she did say it could be deeper in his ears maybe. there was just nothing at all obvious. :( but i know it can travel and spread deeper inside.

i'm really worried. :(

he's being nebulised now. i picked him up straight from the floor and he didn't struggle. :( the other times he has done this was because he had gone into stasis or was about to, but his gut sounds were all normal and like i say, he has been normal all day with eating, drinking and toiletting.

he's eaten about two basil leaves but nothing else. :(

Wish I could be more helpful/have something to offer... :( Just wanted to send vibes for Matt.xxx

Is he already on Metacam ? If it is his ears then he probably has some degree of earache.

yes, he's already on twice daily metacam. he can have more if needed so he's had a little extra but he either was too tired to have it, or he couldn't manage it because of his mouth. he seemed to dribble it out. :?

i don't know what's wrong. the vet said he is ok to be at home but to go back in the morning if he still isn't right for another examination and then we'll take it from there.

she was a really good vet. haven't seen her before because she was one of the new exotics vets but she's really thorough and knows what she's talking about so i feel confident with her. x

he's been nebulised now and gone back to his corner. he looks very tired but he has eaten a bit of thyme so that's good. he wants to eat but it's either hurting him to eat, or he doesn't have the energy to eat much. :(

i've also just found some tangled fur on the floor. it looks tangled with a bit of poop so maybe he has pulled that from himself and it hurt. i really don't know.

he's weak but did hop to his corner and didn't seem unsteady doing that.

poor matt. :(

he's just eaten some more thyme, soaked in water. still in his corner though but at least he wants to eat little bits. x

Back