• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having trouble finding somewhere for the rabbits.

Wish I could help. I was lucky that my brother looked after mine in first year, but now I'm taking them to Uni with me. I can't think of any suggestions :(

How come you're having to rehome them?

I am going to London for university and my family wont be able to look after them. My brother doesn't care, my sister doesn't have room/time/money and my mum has arthritis. She will be able to feed them but there is no way she could clean them out or anything like that.

George might be able to help come around and make sure they are ok but 1. he lives and works in Exeter and 2. he doesn't feel comfortable around my family so probably wont be happy about coming down every week

Maybe you could ask if anyone would be able to take them in for you for a year until you are out of halls?

You've probably answered this somewhere on a previous thread but could George take them for a year?

I don't think so really. He lives at home with his mum who has turned the house and garden into a building site to do up her cottage, so no room for a hutch. She also has a large dog + 5 cats and I don't know how they would react to the rabbits. Then there is also the fact there are definitely foxes living just a few yards down the lane as we found the body of the rooster there in the bushes. So not somewhere i'd be happy to have the rabbits really

Take them with you? Some people have animals in student rentals - you might have to shop around though.

Take them with you? Some people have animals in student rentals - you might have to shop around though.

I'll be living in halls :( I would sneak them in if I could but I am worried as to what would happen if I were caught. And there is also the fact halls are loud and not a nice place for two buns

Last edited:
I know it's a bit different but I had a hamster in halls and the uni has to give u warning 24hrs usually before they serch your room so u could get them to a friend somewhere else and u never know someone you meet in their second year might b able to keep them at there place for you.

Loads of people had pets at uni and it was always quite funny watching the 24 hrs before an inspection where all the animals were carted outside to cars etc people had bunnies pigs lizards even puppies lol xxx

Could your Mum feed and water them every day and then you pay a pet sitter to come round twice a week and do the big clean out?

I had a great big border collie puppy in uni when it's specified strictly NO pets. Given a warning she was gone for the day and back with me at night :lol:

All the rescues in my area are full and I don't have much time or money left...

What can I do :(

Can't you check with Uni, they might have a solution, such as you take them with you there must be garden or something where you could set it up so that they could be there ;)

Obviously don't sneak them in as you have more chance of you being kicked out not just the buns :roll:

Bit radical but could you not swap uni to one closer to home? Then you can still live at home and look after your pets.

Personally I wouldn't take bunnies to uni halls. However, some first years do live in shared houses and a lot of unis offer homestay accommodation too as usually there are more first years than hall spaces... are any of these an option?

Having lived in halls myself, I would not risk taking a pet. If they choose to do random inspections, you would be in trouble and potentially lose your room. You never know when someone is going to knock on your door and it would be hard to keep them hidden in such cases.

But, I am pretty sure that you would be able to find a house/flat and cancel your halls tenancy, as they are usually the most popular option with new students. I'm not sure how you would go about affording it, if it was somewhere that needed 2/3 students to cover the rent, but I've seen that people often stay on in the houses and offer their spare room to people. You'd probably be able to find somewhere looking to fill one room, and that way you could keep your rabbits too. Houseshares are usually cheaper than halls anyway.

It would be easier to have someone foster them though, or like someone else said, ask your mum to feed them and a pet sitter to clean them out twice a week.

I'm another for finding somewhere you can live with your buns, halls are ridiculously expensive anyway. There are websites for finding people to share with, or if worse comes to worse a studio flat may be possible.

Bit radical but could you not swap uni to one closer to home? Then you can still live at home and look after your pets.

I suspect it is a bit late in the day to do this - and you need to go to a university (a) offering the course you want to do, and (b) offers you a place.

Back