• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-castration appetite loss

jemjabella

Mama Doe
Just after a little advice - not sure if this is best in here or diet & digestion but will start here :)

Flymo was neutered yesterday and is now not eating a lot. Vet advised this might happen and to watch output - he is pooing, although very small poos much darker than normal, suspect lack of fibre. Problem is that Flymo doesn't really eat much hay, but compensates by eating grass (he is allowed the run of the garden most days). Vet has advised to keep him in for a few days to allow recovery time but I'm concerned that this is counterintuitive to getting him to eat. So now I'm not sure what to do - allow him out and risk him hurting himself OR keep him in risk him not eating and going into GI stasis?

We are trying to get him to eat more hay as we've been overfeeding the nuggets (unaware of how little they actually need) and I've got various samples on the way to see which will tempt him to eat more. In the mean time though, just wondering if anyone has any advice on how we should proceed?

He's got a follow up appointment at the vet tomorrow anyway and keeping a close eye in the mean time.

Thanks in advance

You could pick some grass by hand for him.

Outdoor buns only need to be kept in for 24hrs post GA because they can't regulate their temperature. As long as you don't let him go mad and jump about (risk of opening wound) he should be ok to have a little graze.

As long as he's eating something and still pooping thats a good sign. Its normal for appetitie to be reduced, His eating should pick up, but if not just pop him back to the vets as he may need additional pain relief.

Sorry, just to clarify, he is outside but has not been allowed free roam of the garden.

We have picked some grass which he had a little nibble of but significantly less than normal. Reassured that he's probably OK given continued poos though, thank you :)

Could you fence off a little area so he can graze but not go too mad, or supervise him for some free roam to make sure he doesn't go crazy.

A little gentle exercise is good and can help kickstart the gut.

I might be able to put something together to keep him in a small area, although for a small bunny he's very good at climbing/escaping :lol:

Just a quick update as I'm supposed to be working: lots and lots of poos overnight, he's eaten some of his hay, the grass we pulled and 2 fresh pea pods I gave him to cheer him up. I've let him out today too. He seems back to his normal self :thumb:

Back