• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this the same hamster?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Looking at the pics I've taken of Grayson tonight made me look back at the ones I took when I first got him last October and compare... :shock: He looks like a totally different hamster! He looks old now, but when I got him (PAH adoption) they said they didn't think he was very old but he was definitely fully grown as he was pretty big. I hope he's not old yet :(

A1BB3B41-058E-423B-B6EE-647D46FA4DE4-64909-00003AE7E1C90A5E_zps32200b18.jpg

:love:

Apollo looks old but he's only about 9 months :lol: Phoebe has got to be about 16 months old now and she still looks the same, she was from p@h adoption because they couldn't sell her, she was too aggressive (I do wonder why :roll:) so we went back for her and that was the last time I went into p@h :lol: she was 5 months old then.

My Sooty has gone a lot lighter than when I first got her. She's black and white, and I got her at about 2-3 months old. She's not even a year yet but she has gone a lot lighter in colour.
He's lovely btw :)

Just realised last October is nearly a year ago!!! Doesn't feel like I've had him that long! They live such short lives, if he was 6m old when I got him (just guessing) he will already be 1.5yrs old so I suppose that is getting on for a hamster. 2-2.5yrs is average lifespan. I suppose when I had hamsters when I was younger 2-2.5yrs felt like a lifetime! Now the years fly by! I suppose having had guinea pigs (that both unfortunately died too young) and rabbits I forget just how short a hamsters life will be. Hopefully I've got at least another year to enjoy him. That's the problem with adopting, u never really know their age.

Aw thanks for the replies, I love him whatever but I was just shocked when I compared the two pics! I won't lie, his gorgeous colour and ringed eyes were what first captivated me but he's still my beautiful (now creamy/golden...) Grayson!!! :lol: :love:

Just realised last October is nearly a year ago!!! Doesn't feel like I've had him that long! They live such short lives, if he was 6m old when I got him (just guessing) he will already be 1.5yrs old so I suppose that is getting on for a hamster. 2-2.5yrs is average lifespan. I suppose when I had hamsters when I was younger 2-2.5yrs felt like a lifetime! Now the years fly by! I suppose having had guinea pigs (that both unfortunately died too young) and rabbits I forget just how short a hamsters life will be. Hopefully I've got at least another year to enjoy him. That's the problem with adopting, u never really know their age.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about with Apollo, he's either 9 months old or just over a year.. I go with the younger bit because it makes me feel better :D My last 2 hams died sooner than I hoped :(, Hammy was about 17 months old when we found her bleeding and the tumor, then April was only 6 months old when the tumor started forming and her spinning got really bad :(

Yeah that's what I'm worried about with Apollo, he's either 9 months old or just over a year.. I go with the younger bit because it makes me feel better :D My last 2 hams died sooner than I hoped :(, Hammy was about 17 months old when we found her bleeding and the tumor, then April was only 6 months old when the tumor started forming and her spinning got really bad :(

Aw it's sad isn't it, as far as I know he doesn't have any health problems but I suppose u never know when something will strike. All we can do is give them the best life we can and enjoy them while they're here :) I still can't believe iv had him nearly a year tho! It's flown by so fast it's scary!

My Syrian hamster Daisy lived to just over 4 yrs. He had a fantastic life though and was loved so very much. He had free-range time every day, and would be out with us watching the tele at night, and he had a 'hamster playground' in his cage. I firmly believe that hamsters can live for much longer if they get lots of time out of their cage, and have lots of different things going on in their lives. Obviously ill health is something we have no control over really, but sadly I think lots of hamsters live such short lives because they are just stuck in a cage for most or all of the time, and people often don't seem to realise just what great little pets they are who can also be just as entertaining and loving.

In the mornings the toaster seemed to act as an alarm clock to Daisy, and when I was doing toast for everyone at about 7, as soon as the first slice popped up it would be exactly 4 secs :lol: until Daisy appeared demanding his little piece. Daisy was sold to us as a female but soon developed 'balls' most guys would love to have :lol::lol: and it just seemed unfair to confuse the little guy by renaming him.

I had friends coming round one afternoon, and had prepared a cold buffet like spread, and Daisy's cage was on the table. My daughter can't have shut his door properly because when we came back from having to go out, Daisy was having a right feast in the middle of it all :shock: there were little hamster feet prints on the butter, and he had a stash of ham, cheese and bread in his cage, and was sat on the plate enjoying a cherry tomato :lol::lol:

Can I just say in case people don't already know that every Sunday, I used to hard boil an egg for Daisy, as apparently it is a very valuable source of protein for them, and they should have either some egg or a teaspoon of plain cottage cheese once a week. Daisy absolutely loved his boiled egg and would eat all the yolk first. I just used to give him half a egg, leave it with him for an hour or so, and then remove it, but there was never much to remove.

My Syrian hamster Daisy lived to just over 4 yrs. He had a fantastic life though and was loved so very much. He had free-range time every day, and would be out with us watching the tele at night, and he had a 'hamster playground' in his cage. I firmly believe that hamsters can live for much longer if they get lots of time out of their cage, and have lots of different things going on in their lives. Obviously ill health is something we have no control over really, but sadly I think lots of hamsters live such short lives because they are just stuck in a cage for most or all of the time, and people often don't seem to realise just what great little pets they are who can also be just as entertaining and loving.

In the mornings the toaster seemed to act as an alarm clock to Daisy, and when I was doing toast for everyone at about 7, as soon as the first slice popped up it would be exactly 4 secs :lol: until Daisy appeared demanding his little piece. Daisy was sold to us as a female but soon developed 'balls' most guys would love to have :lol::lol: and it just seemed unfair to confuse the little guy by renaming him.

I had friends coming round one afternoon, and had prepared a cold buffet like spread, and Daisy's cage was on the table. My daughter can't have shut his door properly because when we came back from having to go out, Daisy was having a right feast in the middle of it all :shock: there were little hamster feet prints on the butter, and he had a stash of ham, cheese and bread in his cage, and was sat on the plate enjoying a cherry tomato :lol::lol:

Can I just say in case people don't already know that every Sunday, I used to hard boil an egg for Daisy, as apparently it is a very valuable source of protein for them, and they should have either some egg or a teaspoon of plain cottage cheese once a week. Daisy absolutely loved his boiled egg and would eat all the yolk first. I just used to give him half a egg, leave it with him for an hour or so, and then remove it, but there was never much to remove.

Aw sounds like u had a character :D i can just picture him grabbing all the goodies on the buffet table and running back to store them not believing his luck :lol: Grayson doesn't get out as often as I'd like, partly because he's hardly ever up when I am! And partly because I have 2 dogs who'd rather like to eat him!! But he does have a 5ft cage :lol: I've never given him egg but he gets regular meal worms and dog biscuits for a protein boost :D I am going to get him some new bits for his cage soon as he doesn't seem to utilise what he has so hopefully I can find some things that will interest him!

Back