• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

going away this weekend - are we prepared for bunny sitter?

jasond

Young Bun
hi, we're off to Spain for a week this Saturday, the sister-in-law is looking after Munch. We're taking his hutch and run over Friday night. I've written her a "short" care sheet (2 pages A4 so far!) but am worried I've forgotten something important.

What preparations/arrangements do people make if they're letting someone look after bun? thanks

All the basics, feeding (how much, how often, which veg he likes, advise not to introduce new foods you haven't tried just in case they give him a funny tummy), cleaning, attention and water etc. Also make sure your SIL knows not to pick him up (if he doesn't like this) and other things he may not like so he can stay happy and calm in his temporary home.

Make sure she knows that if he stops eating she should get him to a vet IMMEDIATELY! Give her your vets number or a vets number near her for emergencies. Check if she can pay vets fees if needed (for you to pay back later) and if not try and organise a way for you to get money to her fast or leave some behind just in case.

They're just the things I tell people when mine have been looked after, I'm sure you've covered most of it in your care sheets plus more probably! I think making sure she knows what to do if he gets ill and how to spot signs of illness is important and if there's any specific health problems he's had before so if he does get ill she can tell the vet. Information that is very unlikely needed but if it is it would be very important!

Have a nice holiday :D

Vet's telephone number - doh! thanks for that, completely forgot.
She has three girls who are quite "active", shall we say and into everything. We've told SIL he's not fond of being picked up & will bite (he doesn't, he's no trouble at all) to put them off picking him up. Hoping scare tactics will work! I treated him for fly strike a couple of weeks ago but not sure if I should show her how to check his bum or not? Can we rely on the treatment or (liek I always do anyway) make sure she keeps checking him?

Vet's telephone number - doh! thanks for that, completely forgot.
She has three girls who are quite "active", shall we say and into everything. We've told SIL he's not fond of being picked up & will bite (he doesn't, he's no trouble at all) to put them off picking him up. Hoping scare tactics will work! I treated him for fly strike a couple of weeks ago but not sure if I should show her how to check his bum or not? Can we rely on the treatment or (liek I always do anyway) make sure she keeps checking him?

I'd recommend teaching her to check him because if it's missed it's really bad :( make sure you emphasise to her how important to keep his hutch clean because if there's poo around flies are more likely to come and land on him and then he'll be in pain and she'll be taking trips to the vets! (Someone else might come along and say it's not necessary to teach her to do bum checks, but I personally would especially since he's had fly strike recently, he might be at higher risk for some reason so it's good to keep being vigilant, it's supposed to be warm this week at least too so if it is whilst you're away that increases the risk too)

I meant when I treated him, it was with the spray to prevent flystrike. He's not had it. I'll show her how to check though. thanks again

If in any doubt, why not leave your log on details for RU and she can post any queries if needed? I'm more than happy for you to let her pm me if required.:thumb:

Back