• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Papaya tablets

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
Hi :wave: does nine give their bunny papaya tablets? How many? It says on the pot 1-2 per day but I think that's a lot?? :shock:

Because willow had two blockages which I'm sure was caused by his massive moult. I read that papaya tablets can help digestion. I have been giving him them (he thinks they are treats ;)) but not everyday so am I doing right thing ? :shock:

I've no idea, I am afraid, as I've never heard of them. I know pineapple juice used to be recommended in some instances, but this has now been disputed.

I've no idea, I am afraid, as I've never heard of them. I know pineapple juice used to be recommended in some instances, but this has now been disputed.

I know, apparently it's the same principle with papaya tabs, but some dispute it still, I thought it was worth a try. They are made by oxbow an cheaper than a vet bill :shock:

I used them. The bunny now lives with friends but she still gets them sometimes, for moulting.
I gave her two a day for a while if she was moulting or for a couple of days if there had been some stressful event, tailing off to one. She'd only had one episode of stasis specifically, and another of refusing certain foods for a few days, but I'd had high vet bills for various things (including another rabbit) so I was very keen to avoid further visits. Whether it was coincidental or not she didn't have any stasis or health problems whilst on the papaya tablets. Like your buns she loved them, like they were sweets. They contain no sugar, and sugar is the reason pineapple juice is sometimes warned against. The levels of the relevant enzymes are also much higher in the tablets than in juice. All I can say is that the papaya tablets did her no harm - and may have done some good.

Last edited:
Back