• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blood tests

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
Are blood tests stressful for buns? Stuff I read suggested that its long but not too bad for them, but the vet at our practice that I saw last (works on a Wednesday which is the only day I could go, but I prefer the other vet), said that unless we were really concerned it wasn't worth the stress.

I'm not sure how much water Pooka drink as she drinks from a bowl and boyfriend keeps forgetting to keep track of when he fills it and with how much (I can't fill it every time as my stitches are in an awkward place so the stairs are horrible :lol:). She has always drank what seems to be a lot, and it was when I said this to the vet that she said what I wrote above. She also pees a lot. Because she has been like this since we got her at 8 weeks I'm not sure if that makes it less likely to be a concern, but I wouldn't mind checking if the blood test wouldn't be horrific for her. I don't think she strains, she seems happy to go the toilet.

It can be a stressful experience, so I in part agree with your Vet that it is not necessary unless there are sound clinical reasons to do it.

A urine test could provide a bit of information and this would not be an invasive procedure.

It can be a stressful experience, so I in part agree with your Vet that it is not necessary unless there are sound clinical reasons to do it.

A urine test could provide a bit of information and this would not be an invasive procedure.

I will try for a urine sample, the only way I can think to get one would be emptying the litter tray then tipping into a sample pot. Presumably this will work, assuming she will actually go without litter :roll:

Freckle had to have bloods done as he went really off colour for no reason that myself or the vet could see, he was so stressed out :cry: I guess bunnies can be different in how they react but i think i would not do it if i could avoid it

Back