• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit paw injury

NicNac

New Kit
My rabbit is continuously at its paw to the point that it is very raw I have been treating it with anti infection cream and bathing it, it may have injured it but it seems he has bitten it heavily, I was away on hols and when I came back this is how it looked I had just bathed it with antiseptic wash so the wet appearance is from that. Any idea of the cause or ways I can increase recovery?

Please take him to a vet ASAP. Wounds like that can end in amputation I'm afraid without prompt treatment.

That is an extremely serious infection. I do hope the poor Rabbit has been taken to a Vet

His nails are far too long and he may have caught one, causing a dislocated toe. The pain from this could be causing the self mutilation behaviour. Or he could have a seriously infected nail bed.

The infection is tracking up his leg and if you dont act quickly he will end up with septicaemia (blood poisoning) which will be fatal.

There is absolutely no other option than to get him to Vet tonight to obtain proper treatment and prevent further suffering.

Last edited:
Oh my god, poor poor bunny :cry: i hope the vet can help him. If he was mine he would've been at the vets 10 minutes after seeing that, it looks horrendous :cry: please take him.

Contacted vet there cannot see the rabbit until tomorrow morning but said if rabbit is moving around and eating grass then it should be ok till then :(

Contacted vet there cannot see the rabbit until tomorrow morning but said if rabbit is moving around and eating grass then it should be ok till then :(

You need to INSIST that he is seen tonight. Sorry to be blunt here but would you want to wait another 12 hours with a foot and leg in a state like that ?

The problem has not come on overnight, he has waited long enough for Veterinary treatment.

I agree with Jane.

You need to stress just how bad this foot is and insist that he needs to be seen tonight.

Your poor rabbit must be in agony.

You need to INSIST that he is seen tonight. Sorry to be blunt here but would you want to wait another 12 hours with a foot and leg in a state like that ?

The problem has not come on overnight, he has waited long enough for Veterinary treatment.

Jane is right. The vets will be perfectly capable of seeing him and it needs sorting now. Who was looking after him while you were away?

As much as you want to stress the vets are closed at 6pm so out of my control, the rabbit is eating drinking and is moving very fast playing with the others in the garden. I am aware it cAnnot express pain like others but tomorrow morning is my best option I can only attempt to comfort her until then, I need advice in this area.

As much as you want to stress the vets are closed at 6pm so out of my control, the rabbit is eating drinking and is moving very fast playing with the others in the garden. I am aware it cAnnot express pain like others but tomorrow morning is my best option I can only attempt to comfort her until then, I need advice in this area.

Who does your vet practices emergencies? All vet practices must have an out of hours clinic to refer clients to if they don't provide it themselves, and they have a duty of care to treat your bunny. Sending him lots of vibes and I hope he's ok x I would guess that it's best not to put anything else on it until he has seen the vet but I'm not very knowledgable about these things!

My vets is always available out of hours for emergencys. I am not an expert being a new bunny owner but I would not let my rabbit stay in that condition for any length of time without seeing a vet. They are prey animals so will not express pain as this will be seen as a sign of weakness by predators.

Honestly, I've been fobbed off by vets out of hours too. I know this is blunt and it isn't meant to criticise you - that rabbit could be dead tomorrow or in a state where he has a limb missing.

If you tell us whereabouts you are we might be able to help you with the number for an out of hours vet or vet hospital.

ring your normal vet and there will be a number for an out of hours vet. It classes as animal cruelty to deny an animal medical treatment, you can not make excuses in this situation. Would you leave your child if they looked like that or would you go to A+E with them? This is no different, the rabbit cannot take itself to the vets it is relying on you

Taking it to a vet now will let you know what she thinks friend of my mum who is doing us a favour. Wish bunny luck!! :)

Back