• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Definition of Syringe Feeding a Rabbit (according to Fudge):

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
The art of transferring concrete like brown slush from a relatively small container onto a much larger surface of any given clothing/surface/towel/apron etc using only a 5ml syringe and a bunny mouth.

This practice is usually engaged in by increasingly frustrated humans and may be accompanied by threats, cajoling or bananas.

A wise human will circumvent all this by just tipping the container onto the bunnies feet and wait for it to lick it all off itself.

Doughnut loves her meds on a tiny bit of weetabix, she thinks it's a real treat and it soaks it all up. Don't know how I would have survived over the last year without weetabix!

Doughnut loves her meds on a tiny bit of weetabix, she thinks it's a real treat and it soaks it all up. Don't know how I would have survived over the last year without weetabix!

unfortunately Fudge is on day 2 of a nasty EC - manifesting itself in complete disinterest in anything at all despite only minor head tilt. He needs syringe feeding totally. Normally we use mashed banana for meds.

Feeling your pain ! If it is ever fluff that needs syringe feeding I will actually be feeling pain as he will not be putting up with that ! Binky is also good at holding it in her mouth for at least 5 mins fooling you into thinking you have cracked it and then letting it dribble out the corner of her mouth .... :evil::love::D

:lol: :lol:

Fidget would only take it from a 1ml syringe with the end cut off :roll:, so it took forever to get anywhere near enough in her. Then she'd hold it in her mouth and let it dribble out, all while giving me dirty looks as I looked on in despair :lol:

Sorry to hear Fudge is suffering with EC, I've seen that first hand and hope I never do again. Lots of love & best wishes being sent your way. And good luck with the syringe feeding!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

unfortunately Fudge is on day 2 of a nasty EC - manifesting itself in complete disinterest in anything at all despite only minor head tilt. He needs syringe feeding totally. Normally we use mashed banana for meds.

Ah poor little Fudge I didn't realise. I honestly don't think I would be able to do it with Doughnut as she hates being picked up. Once when she was so ill and I knew I had to get the metacam into her I just grabbed her and managed to syringe feed her but after that she didn't come anywhere near me. I hope Fudge picks up soon and can enjoy a bit of banana. Lots of vibes for you.

The art of transferring concrete like brown slush from a relatively small container onto a much larger surface of any given clothing/surface/towel/apron etc using only a 5ml syringe and a bunny mouth.

This practice is usually engaged in by increasingly frustrated humans and may be accompanied by threats, cajoling or bananas.

A wise human will circumvent all this by just tipping the container onto the bunnies feet and wait for it to lick it all off itself.

This has just given me hope - thank you. I'm going to try this. My bun Hamish had dental work earlier this week. Giving syringe feeds is a nightmare. THANK YOU. Fingers crossed it works for me.

I have also resorted to smearing it over feet and around mouth, although has to be said that I am covered more than he as he flicks his feet and whips his head away:lol:

Good luck.

I have also resorted to smearing it over feet and around mouth, although has to be said that I am covered more than he as he flicks his feet and whips his head away:lol:

Good luck.

Thank you. Just about to try this. Think I'll need some luck ;-)

I've been lucky with my buns as most of them take syringed food really well. I always use a very thin syringe. It takes a lot longer but I think it's less stressful for them, especially smaller bunnies with tiny mouths.

I really struggled to syringe feed Catherine's Sweep though - ended up wearing most of it!

I've been lucky with my buns as most of them take syringed food really well. I always use a very thin syringe. It takes a lot longer but I think it's less stressful for them, especially smaller bunnies with tiny mouths.

I really struggled to syringe feed Catherine's Sweep though - ended up wearing most of it!

Well unfortunately that did not go well! I am covered in recovery and Hamish is not and is now hiding. I am feeling rather desperate now. We should try a smaller syringe, good idea thank you. He is eating some hay and grass so there is food going into him. You have to prompt him to eat though.

Back