• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It all comes at once . . . several rabbits poorly

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
So after being really lucky since moving house and only the already 'special needs' buns being ill and needing lots of care, this week (in fact today) I suddenly have Fudge in stasis (why???????), Peaches having split open an old genital surgery wound very very nastily with blood etc and gaping wound again (how??????), Mulberry with an ear abscess head tilt, Dandelion with fight wounds after Meadowsweet suddenly decided to turn on him (why?????), and Charlie with urine burns down his leg causing skin cracking - with no apparent cause for the sudden urine issues.

Add Bluebell's continuing very bad arthritis meaning she is mostly off her legs and Coltsfoot's continued endless problems with teeth, jaw abscesses and infected skin and 'learned behaviour' of pulling all his fur out - and I am feeling pretty much inundated.

Not sure who to worry about next or most or how to cope with all. Am on own as Steve working in the Worthing office (we are now up on Cambs/Northants borders)

Only found Fudge not eating and Peaches wound problems after returning from vets with everyone else - so will have to take them as emergencies first thing tomorrow - and now we have moved its an hour to closest rabbit vet.

just dont know why its all happened at once . . they dont even all live together . . some are indoors buns some outdoors . . .

It's always the way! :( I have gone a few months with no vet trips, now everybun seems to be ailing with something :( it must be the seasons! Sending vibes for all your poorly buns, I hope they all feel better soon x

Oh blimey, I'm really sorry you have so many rabbits suddenly giving cause for concern.

Sending lots of vibes for the buns, and thinking of you with all this worry!

Very sorry you have been hit with this. Weird irony of life, you can go months or a few years without problems (if you only have a few buns like me), then you can end up with half your animals unwell.

I hope they will not turn into serious problems and can be treated fairly easily.

Sorry to hear this :cry: It is very hard to manage when a lot of Rabbits become unwell at the same time. I hope everyBun responds to treatment and makes a good recovery.

Could something have induced a mass outbreak of 'stress' leading to the Bunnies having scuffles. This resulting in injury/stress induced illness ?
A predator perhaps ? Dont know if you have any Magpies about. But OMG here at the moment they are utterly evil. They are terrorising my Rabbits and I have to fend off low swooping, squawking birds with a tennis racket. Dont know what's got into the damn things, they have never been this bad before.

Oh my goodness :( I'm so sorry to hear this.

I hope they all respond to treatment and are well again very soon. xx

Sorry to hear this :cry: It is very hard to manage when a lot of Rabbits become unwell at the same time. I hope everyBun responds to treatment and makes a good recovery.

Could something have induced a mass outbreak of 'stress' leading to the Bunnies having scuffles. This resulting in injury/stress induced illness ?
A predator perhaps ? Dont know if you have any Magpies about. But OMG here at the moment they are utterly evil. They are terrorising my Rabbits and I have to fend off low swooping, squawking birds with a tennis racket. Dont know what's got into the damn things, they have never been this bad before.

I think that Fudge's stasis (which is now shown itself to be caused by EC as he now has a sideways turn to his head and a slight nystagmus) might have been stress as we moved his group to a new area though they have not argued but maybe the moving was stressful - though tbh we do this a lot to give the buns a change and never had this happen before.

Mulberry has I think been brewing his ear problems for a while unseen - we did comment at his vac. about 6 weeks ago that he was looking slightly thinner and generally older - so I suspect that it was brewing deep down then - though we did have his ears chacked thoroughly but mid-inner ear just doesnt show at first.

Peaches and Charlie both have had genital surgery in the past (both head humpers despite neuter - though ironically not of each other). and I suspect that although they are normally dry and fine something has triggerred this - perhaps the heat leading to some slight dehydration and urine infection.

I am inundated with work as well - which I HAVE to do!! Feeling very stressed. Just about to try and syringe Fudgge - who unlike most EC/tilt cases has stopped eating immediately despite anti-nausea drugs.

Have a bad feeling about that.

I think it was a magpie (chattering squawk?) that started outside our window yesterday evening causing Pooka to have a massive thumping match!

I'm really sorry everything is happening at once parsnipbun. I think it has been a really weird summer for buns and stasis, I'm wondering if its been sending hormones a bit doolally too. Sending vibes for the buns and hugs for you xxx

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'll be keeping your guys in my thoughts. I hope all show improvements soon.

Im sorry you are dealing with so much, is there any one near that can help you? I would if I was nearer!
It's typical it all happens at once and while Steve is away too :(

I think it's called sods law! I really have my fingers crossed for you and hope everyone gets better soon. :D

Not quite the same, but I do understand how you feel. Two years ago, I had two clutches of baby cornsnakes hatch (about 50 of them) and none of them would feed. So twice a week I had to force feed them mouse tails, once a week feed my own 20 something snake collection and work full time. Then my darling Dexter came down with his first attack of EC so for a week I had to hand feed him, daily baths whenever he soiled himself, hand water him, exercise his legs so the muscles didn't waste away, 3 x medicines twice a day, vet checkups. Manic!!

I wish we lived closer together as I would offer to help you out with yours if I could. Keep us updated on their progress, I hope it all works out well.

Back