• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming advice

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about grooming.

Decided to groom my bun today as when i went to stroke her some fur came off .So i got a cushion, put it on the table and brought out my small rubber finger groomer.( http://www.petsathome.com/shop/finger-groomer-for-small-animals-by-pet-brands-35827 )and her treats. Then i picked up my hairy bunny, put her on the cushion and started to groom her. she's never been on the table before. Fluffs is a very shy bunny and so went as flat as a pancake. I knew she would be scared but is it normal for bunnies to be that scared whilst grooming? The thing is, Fluffy is a short haired bun anyway, so we only have a tiny bit rubbish groomer because my mum doesn't want to get a really expensize one as she's not long haired. However she has been shedding a lot in the summer and i'm literally covered after grooming her! :lol: :roll:
But the grooming brush kept clogging up and took ages to fully get all her loose fur off her. any reccomendations?

So the questions are...:

What short haired bunny groomer is best? not expensive please.
Is it normal for bunnies to be really scared whilst i'm grooming her?
other things eg. ears to check at grooming time.
is it easy to flip them over to check her bottom?
how often does everyone elses bunny need grooming?

thanks xx

just wondered if anyone could give me some advice about grooming.

Decided to groom my bun today as when i went to stroke her some fur came off .So i got a cushion, put it on the table and brought out my small rubber finger groomer.( http://www.petsathome.com/shop/finger-groomer-for-small-animals-by-pet-brands-35827 )and her treats. Then i picked up my hairy bunny, put her on the cushion and started to groom her. she's never been on the table before. Fluffs is a very shy bunny and so went as flat as a pancake. I knew she would be scared but is it normal for bunnies to be that scared whilst grooming? The thing is, Fluffy is a short haired bun anyway, so we only have a tiny bit rubbish groomer because my mum doesn't want to get a really expensize one as she's not long haired. However she has been shedding a lot in the summer and i'm literally covered after grooming her! :lol: :roll:
But the grooming brush kept clogging up and took ages to fully get all her loose fur off her. any reccomendations?

So the questions are...:

What short haired bunny groomer is best? not expensive please.
Your hand :lol: I find my buns just take the brush off me and run off, although I think there's a Trixie soft brush that I can occasionally get near them. But you can dampen your hand a teeny bit and stroke her and tonnes will come off.
Is it normal for bunnies to be really scared whilst i'm grooming her?
This depends on the bun. I don't know how confident she is being handled or how much she likes being stroked. It could be that she didn't feel stable on the table if its slippy. I usually just have mine on my knee, or do it as they move around me on the floor.
other things eg. ears to check at grooming time.
bum, give a feel over for unnoticed lumps or bumps, ears for crust or dry skin, nails, nose for signs of wetness, eyes
is it easy to flip them over to check her bottom?
you don't want to flip her over as such, it's a case of holding her by the chest with her bum rested on your lap, back towards you and using the free hand to check the fur. Again, this depends on the bunny, some will tolerate it, others will make it difficult
how often does everyone elses bunny need grooming?
mine are constantly shedding, although they never have bald patches. I usually remove tufts as I see them coming out, and mine quite like this, if they're laying down I will gently pull at the fur over their back and this does quite well. I don't really do it at specific times, usually just am prepared to do it when I'm sitting on the floor with them as its less stressful. I check the other stuff at least once a week.

thanks xx

Answers in bold above :)

My vet told me that a 'slicker' brush for small animals was the best brush to use, and I have to admit he is totally right. It is amazing and kindof like grabs all the loose fur and just removes it. Cost about £5. I sit on the floor and groom my bunnies, and they are quite happy to sit on my lap for grooming. I suspect your bunny was scared being up high. You need to groom your bunny whenever it needs grooming really. Now I have this slicker brush, I find it easier to just give all 5 of them, a 5 minute brush daily just to keep on top of all the loose fur, but at the weekend I probably spend 20 mins on each bun, wash their faces, check their nails, bums, tummy's. Each of my buns has their own flannel, and a damp flannel is great for getting hold of loose fur when you rub it over them.

If she only has short hair the best way to groom is dampen your hands with water and rub them back and to all over your bun this will bring all the lose fur off as well as clean the fur.this how show rabbits are groomed

Back