• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it okay not to trim nails?

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
I know this sounds like I'm being a very neglectful owner, but I don't trim my bunnies nails :oops:

There are a few reasons for this:

1) They never really seem to grow what I would think of as being too long, except Little's front two, which I do occasionally nip off the end by skillfully wielding a treat or sneaking up on her when she's asleep. I've owned Ted since April and never clipped his nails. Might be because they live on wooden floors a lot - or maybe they nibble them, Big used to do this.

2) The nails are all black, which is a right pain.

3) They both act like I am trying to murder them if I try. They really do going totally mad. Teddy has to lie down and pant for like an hour every time I even get near him with clippers. :(

Don't get me wrong, I do check their nails every time I check their bums - especially the high up ones, and if any were looking long enough to inhibit walking or grooming, I would call my other half in to help me trim that one in particular.

Am I all on my owneo here? In all the visits my buns have had to the vets they've never mentioned their claws....

:?

B&G get them clipped at the vets if they are there and they need doing, they mainly keep them down themselves, but due to being indoor buns, don't wear them down as much/enough.

B&G get them clipped at the vets if they are there and they need doing, they mainly keep them down themselves, but due to being indoor buns, don't wear them down as much/enough.

Ginger's ear in that picture on your sig looks like a cute hat at a jaunty angle :lol: :)

I have the same problem! I have moved my bunnies run to concrete to try and trim them naturally but it didn't work! What I did was I lay her on her back on my legs and placed a blanket over her head! She didn't move which allowed me to trim them with ease, I do this also when I check her bum etc

If they aren't over long then thats fine. My group of four are on a concrete run and although I do check them I cant remember the last time I trimmed them. My pair are in a kennel or on grass so they get done every few weeks

I know this sounds like I'm being a very neglectful owner, but I don't trim my bunnies nails :oops:

There are a few reasons for this:

1) They never really seem to grow what I would think of as being too long, except Little's front two, which I do occasionally nip off the end by skillfully wielding a treat or sneaking up on her when she's asleep. I've owned Ted since April and never clipped his nails. Might be because they live on wooden floors a lot - or maybe they nibble them, Big used to do this.

2) The nails are all black, which is a right pain.

3) They both act like I am trying to murder them if I try. They really do going totally mad. Teddy has to lie down and pant for like an hour every time I even get near him with clippers. :(

Don't get me wrong, I do check their nails every time I check their bums - especially the high up ones, and if any were looking long enough to inhibit walking or grooming, I would call my other half in to help me trim that one in particular.

Am I all on my owneo here? In all the visits my buns have had to the vets they've never mentioned their claws....

:?

Are your rabbits a Rex breed? We have laminate flooring and know they need trimming when we can here them clicking on the laminate, but they don't appear to grow as quickly on Rex as they do on the more regular breeds.

Sounds like you don't need to. It's when they get overlong and don't get trimmed it becomes a problem obviously. Bunnies who run around a lot on concrete or dig a lot won't need them doing as much as bunnies kept solely indoors, at least that's my understanding.

My rabbits get nail trims as part of their healthcare plans with the vets. I am lucky my vets is only 10 mins walk away from me.

I have solved it!!!

Since it's only their front ones that ever need doing, when they're in their run I hold an apple right at the top of the bars my side so they have to sit on their back legs to get to it....bam! They poke their front claws through the mesh! Snip snip snip, easy peasey :lol::lol:

I've never trimmed mine either in the 2 years I've had them, nor have the vets, vets have always said they don't need it - they're indoor buns who run around on laminate 90% of the time

:( feel bad now but they honestly do get check ups very often

Back