• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating! Help!

Joanne1989

New Kit
Ok so I'm gonna get straight to the point as I'm panicking
My rabbit (Travis) doesn't seem to be eating and hasn't been since I filled his food bowl on Friday. Here are the facts so I don't have to write an essay.

1. I have just moved house.. He's let out of his cage alot more now which is better for him.
2. He's still drinking lots of water.
3. He's still gnawing on his salt thing that helps keep teeth shortened
4. He's pooing as normal.

Everything is absolutely normal apart from his eating. He's still bubbly and hops around as normal.. So I'm a little confused and worried.

Someone help :(

Joanne xx

If he is pooing, then he must be eating something. Is he eating his hay?

I think he needs to see a vet to check that his teeth are ok. Most of the time a rabbit goes off their pellets and hay when their teeth are hurting them.

Ok so I'm gonna get straight to the point as I'm panicking
My rabbit (Travis) doesn't seem to be eating and hasn't been since I filled his food bowl on Friday. Here are the facts so I don't have to write an essay.

1. I have just moved house.. He's let out of his cage alot more now which is better for him.
2. He's still drinking lots of water.
3. He's still gnawing on his salt thing that helps keep teeth shortened
4. He's pooing as normal.

Everything is absolutely normal apart from his eating. He's still bubbly and hops around as normal.. So I'm a little confused and worried.

Someone help :(

Joanne xx
have u got any critical care you could give him until you can get him to a vet this should be ok as long as he hasn't got bloat which you would notice by the size of him

have u got any critical care you could give him until you can get him to a vet this should be ok as long as he hasn't got bloat which you would notice by the size of him

I am afraid I disagree, syringe feeding may make things much worse unless the OP is 100% certain there is no obstruction. There may not as yet be bloat but there may be an obstruction, the Rabbit has not eaten for 3 days and has no fecal output. The only safe option at this late stage is to take the Rabbit to a Vet immediately.

I am afraid I disagree, syringe feeding may make things much worse unless the OP is 100% certain there is no obstruction. There may not as yet be bloat but there may be an obstruction, the Rabbit has not eaten for 3 days and has no fecal output. The only safe option at this late stage is to take the Rabbit to a Vet immediately.

This. I would never recommend syringe feeding a rabbit unless it's under a reliable vet's instruction.

Let us know what the vet has said.

Back