• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can someone tell me the different between the lop bunnies?

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
Pompom was a German lop and I knew she was in the larger lop catagory and was the smallest out of the big lops. I definitely want another lop, what's cuter than a lop bunny! Can someone tell me about other lop varieties, how big do they get and what's their temperament like? Pompom was the grumpiest bun !

Last edited:
I've had dwarf lops. I can't remember what Ludo weighs, he's quite small, almost a mini, and Harry weighed about 2.3kg.

Harry's temperament was as gentle and laid back as you could get. He didn't mind being picked up at all and sat on my lap for ages. Unfortunately he was so laid back he didn't have any fight when he got ill, which I think contributed to his death. :(

Ludo is also very gentle and sweet, but not quite as laid back. He's a bit cheeky at times but always loving!

I've got two mini lops, they are my first bunnies so I have nothing to compare them to, but I love them. They are about 5 months old now and weigh roughly 1.5kg, I love the little buns, so easy to pick up and cuddle :) my two are cuddle monsters.

I've only ever had Doughnut, she's a mini lop. She is very small though just over 1kg.

She is very friendly and very nosy but hates being picked up. She will jump on my lap for treats but once eaten she's off. I do get lots of kisses though and cuddle her on the floor and if I'm ignoring her she will give me a shove with her fluffy nose!

Also just to sell them more, Levi loves to give me a lick, he licks my nose in the morning when I go and give them their breakfast, and he likes to give my whole face a good clean in the evening when I have him out for snuggles. (Clearly I am not doing a good enough job) :p

i've got lionlop-lops :lol: nibbles is 2.5kg on a normal day, buttons is slightly overweight at 3.2kg :shock:

i think french lops are pretty big :D

I've had a lot of dwarf lops during my bunny owning years and currently have Ruby who is a dwarf lop (poss dwarf/mini cross as she is smaller and more squishy faced) and is about 1.9-2kg, Fleur who is a dwarf and weighs 2.3kg and Lavender.. not sure what type of lop she is as she doesn't look like any "breed" as she has a long nose and is 4.4kg so she is big!

They have all had lovely natures :love:

I have had a few dwarf lops in my time - Keira, Cookie and now Slipper and my former OH had one called Dash. On Saturday, I'll be collecting two 8 week old mini lion lops (can't wait :D)

I'm still getting used to being a "proper bunny owner" as opposed to one who has a rabbit in a cage/hutch which gets fed/watered and cleaned when necessary, but not understood what bunnies do and don't like and how to get to know them etc. But I do like the lop eared bunnies.

My first two rabbits were both Dutches and I have preferred the smaller lop eared rabbits to them. I say small, as I've found dwarf lop to be a bit misleading :lol: My friend had a mini lop once who wasn't the friendliest bunny in the world and was a devil to catch once she was out in the garden. I thought she was cute though so when I saw Keira in the pet shop some years later, I got her, expecting a cute tiny ball of fluff. Erm no :lol: I later found out that I'd been after a mini lop as dwarf lops are a dwarf version of the French lop which is really big. Slipper was recently weighed after neutered a couple of weeks ago and he's just over 3kg. I personally wouldn't want anything bigger than that, I'm not the strongest person in the world and I want to fuss my bunny, not do a heavy lift workout when I get him out for garden playtime :lol: I think any future bunnies I have the pleasure to be in servitude to, will be mini lops, or that size anyway.

By the way, cpayne, I love Doughnut and hearing about her, she sounds such a character and looks so pretty too :D. By just mentioning she's a teeny tiny mini lop I think I love her even more :lol:

I have five lionhead x who are all beautiful and a mini lop (tricoloured) who is a right character - not keen on being handled but loves his food and will always come racing over to me to check out what i am bringing him! He will chase his wife round and round the hutch if she grabs a piece of veg first! The mini is the smallest of the lops and seem to have a reputation of being human friendly.

Bella is a dwarf lop (with crazy ears!), she weighs around 3 kg. I don't know if her personality is typically "loppy" but she's very friendly, confident and cuddly. She loves people.

We have Tinky and she is a German lop, quite a heavy girl at around 4kg but she is so placid and will let you give her a good ruffle and pick her up, big bunny binkies are so funny..... Think she is a bit overweight so is on a diet now... :lol: :lol:

Pooka is supposedly a mini lop, although I think more dwarf like in size. She seems to have decided that although she is bonded to the boys, she still wants tonnes of attention from her mum :love: either that or she thinks she's a cat because she will hang off stuff then curl up in my lap and sleep. Yesterday boyfriend was holding her on the bed and she jumped off him into my arms :love: then fell asleep. She is very sweet, but also very bossy!

Hi, i have Flo....or Flo the destroyer to give her her full title!!

She is a french lop, shes around 8mths old and about 24 inches long when sprawled out, spoke to her breeder the other day and apparently her brother from the same litter is the same size as their 2yr old father so shes gonna be a beast when shes finished growing

Shes a bit of a madam and the breeder did say that theyre not very cuddly bunnies and shes def not keen on being picked up much although does love a good fuss and groom. Just remember if you go for one of the larger lops, you need to get huge everything, hutch, run, toys, quantities of food!!

She is gorgeous though :)

1240596_10153127863935147_531258420_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back