• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed Please

ninny40

Mama Doe
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help? I had my 5 month old buck castrated on 7th August. Before then he was eating fine and generally a happy little boy. Every since the op he has been different. The vet I saw for the post op check said he had an infection from licking, but my bunny savvy vet said he was fine and just had a bit of irritated skin, which I believe was correct. He has gone off pellets since the op and it has been very hit and miss as to whether he will eat them. Last Thursday he ate all his pellets and veg, but since Friday morning he won't touch them and will now only eat grass, hay and weeds, but is pooing, etc. I am questioning teeth (I had a previous bunny with molar spurs, so am quite well informed on teeth issues!) but cannot believe he would already have problems at 5 months old when he was perfectly fine before the op? He also seems very different in himself now, very disinterested in things and generally fed up during the day. He is not sitting in a hunched position, indicating pain, nor is he grinding to indicate pain - I just don't know what's going on? At night he seems quite lively, which I can't understand if he is in pain? It's like he's had a total character transformation and I can't understand what has happened? I am going to the vets on Wednesday, but any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

It is very possible for a 5 month old Rabbit to have Dental problems if they have congenital malocclusion. So I would not rule that out.

Is he maintaining his weight ?

Is he urinating as normal ? No sign of straining, sludgy wee, wet rear end or loss of litter tray training ?

It is very possible for a 5 month old Rabbit to have Dental problems if they have congenital malocclusion. So I would not rule that out.

Is he maintaining his weight ?

Is he urinating as normal ? No sign of straining, sludgy wee, wet rear end or loss of litter tray training ?

Thank you, Jane, for replying. I will have him weighed on Wednesday - he was 2.20 kg the last time he was weighed (a couple of weeks ago) so I'll have to see what he weighs now.
No, he's not straining, so I don't think it's infection or bladder sludge and he's still using his area to wee and poo in. I'm just praying it's not teeth. It just seems strange that it's ever since the surgery? He is a very sensitive bun and I'm wondering if the op really upset him?

Thank you, Jane, for replying. I will have him weighed on Wednesday - he was 2.20 kg the last time he was weighed (a couple of weeks ago) so I'll have to see what he weighs now.
No, he's not straining, so I don't think it's infection or bladder sludge and he's still using his area to wee and poo in. I'm just praying it's not teeth. It just seems strange that it's ever since the surgery? He is a very sensitive bun and I'm wondering if the op really upset him?

Is he drinking more/less than normal ?

Back