• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Rabbit's nose looks wounded and really dry!

nzo

New Kit
1231699_643039065706188_2049232578_n_zpsb7afd353.jpg

My rabbit recently got this scar on his nose about a week ago. It looks like a closed wound or a rash, but its really dry and crusty. Does anyone have an idea what it is and should i be worried?

Last edited:
It's tough to say from the picture, I would guess there might be something like mites or fungus involved which is causing the dry skin/irritation. The vet can check it out, they might do a scrapping to check under the microscope and then give you the appropriate cream to treat it. I would wash your hands well after handling as one possibility is ringworm which can transfer to/from people.

will see a vet within this week but.... is it something i should really really worry about or could it easily be treated?

will see a vet within this week but.... is it something i should really really worry about or could it easily be treated?

Without a diagnosis it is impossible to say

You need to consult a Vet today though, it is definitely something that cannot wait any longer.

The treatment will depend on what it is, but hopefully with the right treatment it should clear up quickly. It's amazing how fast animals like rabbits can heal once the underlying problem is treated. As soon as possible would be best for the vet, that way you're less likely to get secondary infection or the problem to spread to other spot as your bunny grooms.

Thanks everyone, just went to the vet yesterday. The vet scraped something from my rabbits ear then later said she had mites, thats why the wounds were not healing. doctor gave her shots and will be getting one every Wednesday for the next week! :wave:

please first of all seperate him from other rabbits..n after touching him dont forget to wash ur hands..this seems a fungus disease nd it can passed from 1 RABBIT TO ANOTHER.

[video]http://s3.amazonaws.com/asset.diary.com/pictures/2941987/img_dload11934-0[/video]

THIS CAN HELP YOU BUT CONSULT ANY WET FIRST!

That's good news, mites are easily treated and you should see an improvement quite quickly. This first shot will kill any currently active mites and then the follow ups kill any new ones that hatch out.

Back