• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some opinions about my new rabbit toy/hay rack idea

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
I know many people like using half moon hanging baskets as hay racks but for many there is a worry about safety. I have come up with this idea and if it is popular I may eventually do some costings and see whether I could make and post them for a reasonable amount as a product to sell. It is a shelf which is tied onto the hanging basket by wire ties. The wire ties then act as hinges so the lid can be lifted easily to fill the basket with hay. It means the bunnies can sit comfortably on an extra shelf in their home and there is no chance of legs getting caught in the wire.

2013-08-25%252021.56.38.png

20130825_175623.jpg

20130825_180029.jpg

Thoughts please!!:wave:

This is good :) the shelf would offer some weather protection for the hay as well, this is something I would love to use in the run. Is the wire spacing ok for mini breeds? I worry mine will get their head stuck in some hay racks

Good idea :thumb:

I had to take the half moon hayrack out of Bentley and Minnie's accommodation as I was finding Bentley poos on top of the hay. I have no idea how a continental giant would have been able to get his bum up into the hayrack as I never saw him do it. He is too big to actually fit into the half moon basket to sit in it.....maybe he did a handstand! :lol: Anyway I took it out because I was scared he would get his feet stuck, so a design like yours would be the perfect solution.

looks good. i can't use the hanging baskets because my bunnies jump right in, and that would stop it. :D

Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate it. :love: Next step is to work out the best kind of wood and thickness. I am thinking 6mm or 9mm exterior plywood and it could be easily painted for protection.

I had to take the half moon hayrack out of Bentley and Minnie's accommodation as I was finding Bentley poos on top of the hay. I have no idea how a continental giant would have been able to get his bum up into the hayrack as I never saw him do it. He is too big to actually fit into the half moon basket to sit in it.....maybe he did a handstand! :lol: Anyway I took it out because I was scared he would get his feet stuck, so a design like yours would be the perfect solution.

:shock: Prize for the continental giant gymnast goes to Bentley!!

What a great idea :lol::thumb::lol:

Here's my Mini Lop Hershel on his. I've had no problems with the bars on the hanging basket, but make sure it is the one with both vertical and horizontal cross bars as he did put his head through the type with just vertical bars.
P1040666.jpg

Being noisy while I clean him out.
P1040663.jpg

George loves to sit or lay out on his.
P1030482.jpg

Last edited:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So funny but so glad he didn't get hurt or anything x

This looks like a good idea :thumb: I took mine out of the run because of the worry of them climbing in and getting stuck.

Does the shelf support their weight okay?

Ta x

Hershel and George look like they love them! My guys adore climbing so it suits them really well.

Rabcat, it will support them brilliantly as long as string wire ties or screws with large heads are used to fix the rack to the wire/wall.

I have been trying to construct something like this but I can't attach things to my wall so I also need some sort of freestanding thing. But then I worry they will jump on and tip it over so it would have to go underneath the litter tray for stability too...

So many considerations! But it looks great to me.

Hershel and George look like they love them! My guys adore climbing so it suits them really well.

Rabcat, it will support them brilliantly as long as string wire ties or screws with large heads are used to fix the rack to the wire/wall.

George and Hershel have had theirs for about 7 months now. I made them with an old shelf sawn in half and some holes drilled in. I did add an extra one at the front so i could tidy it down as George had his head under it eating the hay once.

Secure with plenty of cable ties and I've found it to be very sturdy. Only problem I've had is George likes to dead bunny flop on it and he ends up hanging off it.
I plan to upgrade their run soon and i was thinking about a full length platform instead.

Back